It's official! Diving for beer bottles , makes the national news! Alex Keith Halifax

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
As far as I know the USA has similar stupid laws. LEON.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
RCO , I would say it dates 1890-1900's.
alexander-keith-s-bottle-175-years-old.jpg
Maybe 1880's at the earliest, note the applied top. That's a British type relic law, similar to the United Kingdom. It's state by state here, individual laws that apply to certain citizens. My state is a finder's keepers state, but municipalities and state owned properties and parks have very strict and sharply enforced relic laws. Hunting on private land by request or lease, and all relics are the finders to keep.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Re: It's official! Diving for beer bottles makes the national news then gets you trouble!

So I renamed the thread as these laws suck. ;)

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Re: It's official! Diving for beer bottles makes the national news then gets you trouble!

"If one finds an object and removes the object from its context, we lose all the context and most of the information that is most valuable historically," McKeane said. (Sean McKeane of the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage says the province can seize a heritage object.) What a crock of BS! News flash citizens of Nova Scotia your fore fathers and mothers brewed and made beer. Sometimes they bottled some and went on floating vessels called boats, sadly some fell off these boats on occasion. Today we can only imagine how heartwrenching and sad this must have been. Uuuuuugh What context is there in this case. If it were me I would bring it back to the bottom "back to its context" and have the media film it live , maybe Segway onto this law for a news story . Thanks Creek Walker for the link, its a great story. Just has a bad ending.

coldwater diver

Reaction score

Sean McKeane Its right here. Its on the bottom under a couple of feet of silt. [attachment=water.jpg]

Attachments

• 3f8ccaf855484c6ea2676835024b2998.jpg
    3f8ccaf855484c6ea2676835024b2998.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 71

CreekWalker

Reaction score

Thanks, got a good laugh out of that post!

hemihampton

Reaction score

"If one finds an object and removes the object from its context, we lose all the context and most of the information that is most valuable historically," McKeane said. I dont understand this part, how can they lose historical value for something they would never go look for & find themselves in the first place. The lesson he & everybody should learn is don't tell the news media of any finds & bring to the attention of BoneHeads like McKeane & others like him.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Re: Diving for beer bottles leads to forum debates! (I can change titles!)

I take a bottle out of a building's dirt floor (building now bought and being prepared for major reconstruction.)Had I not recorded where I found it, its historical context as being there is lost.A man tried buying the bottle off of me. I declined. Has he bought it, the story of where it spent most of its life would be lost-- no one would know that the TOC liniment bottle was in a building next to my city's most well-known Brewery, the building absorbed by a wire factory. No archaeologist would have found this one, for none would ever have been called in, but had it been found by one... They'd try to figure out why it was there. It's a part of that place's history. As an urban archaeologist, I record where I find things and what I gather from where I found them-- the item, the context in what it was found and why it was there, the use of it, etc. It all gives a story. How deeply we can read into that story depends on much. The issue is that we find and rescue the stuff, but the archaeologists never learn about it. And they hate us, but we dislike them because they don't want us out searching.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Re: Diving for beer bottles story moral: Don't Tell Archaeologists/News!

And so, the moral is....Don't let the news or historical societies know of your exploits! (and thus, you live with your bottles happily ever after till you sell them off and story is lost.)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers