It's official! Diving for beer bottles , makes the national news! Alex Keith Halifax

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ace31

Reaction score
Re: It's official! Diving for beer bottles makes the national news then gets you trouble!

Sounds like he said Nuttal & Co, I'd say late 1890s early 1900s, maybe even later, cool bottle, a shame if he has to give it up due to some heritage law. If he does it will probably end up in a wooden box tucked away in a large storage facility, remember the end of the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark? [;)]

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Re: Diving for beer bottles story moral: Don't Tell Archaeologists/News!

" And so, the moral is....
Don't let the news or historical societies know of your exploits! (and thus, you live with your bottles happily ever after till you sell them off and story is lost.) " I have a new link to support this, bear. The writing is on the wall , take heed. I would suggest ALL future posts be headed" "Found at the antique mall today...." http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/with-shipwreck-treasure-easier-to-reach-a-duel-is-on/ar-AAfPwvC?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp Read and understand, fellow diggers, surface hunters and scroungers, the regulators are at the gates, and about to be in your privy.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score

I knew this for a long time-- since before I joined the forum. We're considered thieves. [>:]

CreekWalker

Reaction score

Yep, wrote a post about this a couple years ago, where pro. Archie's compared "rabid relic hunters" to thieving crack heads. I wrote that after spending a Saturday, at public university employed Archie's estate sale. As I talked to his wife and children about the, awesome native American and Civil War relics, in his collection, I asked, if he had spent a small fortune during his lifetime, accumulating such a collection. "No, his wife said with a twinkle in her eyes, " it was his favorite perk , he enjoyed most about his job!" Wink, wink!

mctaggart67

Reaction score

The arrogance of this statement in the posted link above is appalling and disturbing:"If one finds an object and removes the object from its context, we lose all the context and most of the information that is most valuable historically," McKeane said.Wow!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

The real thieves and looters were the countries that backed the people that stole it in the first place. If a museum REALLY wants it they can go spend the millions to locate and recover it themselves or wait until it hits the sales floors.

Lordbud

Reaction score

I once dug a deep privy. The homeowners had given us permission. The house was of 1880s vintage. Yet the privy was strictly TOC. Turns out the homeowners let us know that the house had been moved to the current lot - from a couple lots down the street back in the day. The house's "context" was no longer valid having been moved. The privy had nothing to with the house. So the privy had no valid "context". This was the first privy I ever dug.Something local archies would have never sought out, and most certainly wouldn't have bothered digging. But just imagine their confusion at the "context" -- all the bottles and other rusted garbage were floating around in a mixture of human waste and who knows what else for many years after being "deposited". The original house on the lot was gone. An unrelated house was now in its place. Context?The context here is that the only reason state/local county governments pass laws requiring "archaelogists" to examine construction sites is because government representatives are lobbied by the private archaeological firms, so those same private firms have a given state-sponsored work load. Income inotherwords -- for folks who'd otherwise have nothing to do but teach more aspiring archaelogists! And it is well-known all the best material (bottles, artifacts) get sold out the back door or taken by the archies themselves. Scam scam scam.

hemihampton

Reaction score

Can Archaelogists afford to lobby anybody, where do they get the big money to lobby or bribe/buy off/ donate to political funds &/or Parties? LEON.

mctaggart67

Reaction score

They really don't have to lobby in any Canadian province and most American states, since these jurisdictions already have archaeology-friendly legislation in place.

nostalgia

Reaction score

Just read an interesting fact on the CBC web site in the comment section and I quote: "The Province of Nova Scotia has no claim whatsoever to this bottle. Provincial jurisdiction ends at the high tide line. The bottle was found in the ocean–federal jurisdiction. Any attempt by the province to seize it wouldn't get very far. Tell NS to buzz off."

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR