J.L.Kelly SARSAPARILLA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
My friend Larry found this one with the base sticking out of the leaves. Open pontil, embossed on front "J.L.KELLY & CO/ CHEMISTS/ PORTLAND ME left side KELLY & CO right side SARSAPARILLA" This one measures 8 1/4 in tall, and appears to be a long neck varient of the Kelly's listed as rare in DeGrafft's American Srasaparilla book. No cracks or damage but needs serious cleaning, lots of the contents stuck to the inside. Any ideas on value or other info would be appreciated. More details about the find in my post from yesterday update on Early 1800's cellar hole thread. Took this picture right where it was pulled out of ground.

Tr49778.jpg

Attachments

• Tr49778.jpg
    Tr49778.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 78

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Cliff,
I have 2 examples selling at public auction in the Auction Report .
" J.L. KELLEY & CO. / CHEMISTS / PORTLAND ME. - SARSAPARILLA - KELLEY & CO. "
12/91 HARMER ROOKE AUCTION : Aqua , 8" tall , Open pontil , Tapered collar lip , Perfect ...... $ 176.00
11/93 GLASSWORKS AUCTION : Aqua , 7 3/4" tall , Pontil scar , Applied mouth , Tiny flake off side of lip , About perfect ..... $ 242.00
I don't see any selling recently . Hope this helps , Brian

kastoo

Reaction score
Well I guess congrats to Larry..get it tumbled and make $$$ OR set it out for display

portland med. man

Reaction score
nice find cliff and larry we have been finding some good stuff just alittle wet water table still high for now... no more piles to dig threw and my computer and car died so im using back up computer wish i had a back up car.... keep up the good work on your diggin peace....

portland med. man

Reaction score
oh yeah nice sasparilla i`ve seen one or two they are pretty scarce last i thought i saw a 250 price tag on one.....cheers.... killa edition to a pontil maine collector or just a sasparilla collecter....sounds like a ebay battle waiting to happen[:D]

portland med. man

Reaction score
it is the same mold as the pontil h.h hays with an extended neck...... sweet............wonder if it was blown locally...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4