Jar Collection - How to sell?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wi_old_glass

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if you would help me or point me in the right direction.

I've been collecting jars since the '70's. I never could afford the high end things, but I was a serious collector. I went to the Indy shows a number of times and spent many summer vacations traveling all over the Midwest looking for jars. I was fortunate to see Jerry McCann's collection at his house years ago. Incredible and I have many photos of his upstairs 'bedroom'!

In any event, I'm retired now and moving to a smaller home. No one in the family is interested in my beautiful jars.

I've given dozens of generic 1858 jars to local museums near here.

The most I've ever paid for a jar is a beautiful SUN at a show for $100.

I have collected much better than average jars. I love crude, whittled and color variation jars, deeper greens and shades, etc.

I have about 60-80 'common' 1858 jars, many with logos, numbers, whittled, shaded, etc. I also have 50-100 various old glass lids and other go-withs.

These need to go to collectors. I don't want or expect to get what I even paid for them, but would like to sell them wholesale to someone who knows about jars and appreciates them.

What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!

-Rich Green
Green Bay, WI
wiz@new.rr.com

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Richard, Your letter makes me think about the similarity in my life. I am 83 now and have been retired for almost twenty years. Now we are faced with down sizing and giving up things we love - in my case the glass things are only of interest to me - so their purpose doesn't register in the minds of my better half or my daughters.
There are things important to me but they don't fit in their minds eye.

Anyway I wanted to check to see if you had a solid glass jar that was used to preheat the early hand blown molds. I would like one of them for my bottle club traveling brief cases.

RED Matthews

wi_old_glass

Reaction score
The last solid pour bottle I saw was an 1858 that Jim Sears had bought. Is Jim Sears still in the hobby?

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Is Jim Sears still in the hobby?

He sure is. Not sure how often he reads this forum but I get the Potomac Bottle Collectors news letter from him regularly.

Jars can be a tough sell. Its a smaller collecting community (like insulators) and people seem to collect specific things.

georgeoj

Reaction score
I talked to Jim Sears at Muncie. I got a jar from him for the crude collection(the green half gallon that I posted the picture of.)[8D]. He is very much still an avid collector.
George

jimsears

Reaction score
Well, I'm certainly still actively collecting ground mouth Mason jars, but apparently I haven't been in this forum in quite a while. I always appreciate hearing about unusual variations such as the numbered and lettered 1858s that may be for sale. I'll try to check in here a bit more regularly.

We had a great meeting on the solid pour jars at the July 2011 Muncie jar get-together. The club newsletter from that month has some good photos:
http://www.leaderjar.com/glasschatter/Glass%20Chatter%20July%202011.pdf

Jim Sears

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Jim Sears, I would like to get a copy of this Glass Chatter, July 2011. I have worked in the glass industry a good portion of my life. Http:/.www.. bottlemysteries.com/welcome I have asked for information on solid pour jars, insulators and botles from many places and find the midwest clubs are really into them. This publication page 10 was interesting to look at.; Any info appreciated.

Red Matthews

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
I'm sure there are collectors in your area who would be interested in making you an offer. I would myself, but Wisconsin is way too far away for me. If you were to go to the Indy January show and put the word out, you shouldn't have any trouble getting takers.
Now, if you happen to have any jar rings boxes, we could talk about those.. -Tammy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide