Jar guide/book

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Red Book is still the jar bible. Edition 10 is the most recent.

http://www.redbookjars.com/

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Red book is always good. I think there are a couple other serious books on jars too but I dont know the names. I saw one new one at the Baltimore show.

deenodean

Reaction score
I have Red Book # 10 , it has over 3100 entries with over 10,000 variations. It is also a price guide. What is lacks in this version is the dates and manufacturer of many jars. Google Red Book if you want to buy it. $40.00 + S & H.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
$40.00 + S & H.
I think the $40 includes shipping still. Getting it from the link Travis just put on is direct from Doug Leybourne, a heck of a nice guy when I talked to him.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
The Redbook is definitely the book to get when talking fruit jars. Like Matt mentioned there are others and if you get really serious about jars the Standard Fruit Jar Reference is quite a book. It's pricey tho.

Jerry Mccann also publishes the Fruit Jar Annual.

~Tim

In from Greg Spurgeon…

Dear Collector-

The long-anticipated fruit jar reference volume: “THE STANDARD FRUIT JAR REFERENCE 2011†is now available. Representing several years of effort, this new 2011 version has been completely revised, updated, and expanded by Jerry McCann and Barry Bernas. In my opinion this book is a must-have addition to the reference library of any serious jar or bottle collector. To assist Jerry in getting the book out to collectors, I’ve set up a web site where you can read Tom Caniff’s review of the book, as well as place an order directly to Jerry via PayPal. Jerry is currently offering a 10% price discount for on-line orders, to anyone on the North American Glass mailing list. (The discount offer runs through Dec 31st of this year). If you have collector friends/relatives with an interest in jars, the book would make a great holiday gift.

Please visit the web page below to see the aforementioned review and for one-click ordering by Paypal.

http://www.gregspurgeon.com/sfjr.html

CBE517F3B4544A1FBC4BBA83AE8A12A1.jpg

Attachments

• CBE517F3B4544A1FBC4BBA83AE8A12A1.jpg
    CBE517F3B4544A1FBC4BBA83AE8A12A1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 69

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've heard of that one too but like the new Bitters books the fancy hardcover at 10x the cost put me out of the running for buying it. I guess I'll just have to wait for the paperback or 30 years until they come out as used and affordable.[:)]

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

Red book is always good. I think there are a couple other serious books on jars too but I dont know the names. I saw one new one at the Baltimore show.
Matt, you reffering too the RedBook #10 at the Balt . show this year? I bought that one..lol

dygger60

Reaction score
There is also a great set of books that I was refered to by Mr Dick Roller some years back when I first took up jar collecting.....they are out of print now...and go ALOT more indepth into jars.....since they came out there has not been too many new
discoveries...and the Ball jar numbering system has been changed...but it is very easy to cross reference over to the Red Book...

THE FRUIT JAR WORKS by Alice Crestwick...a two volumn set, one for early jars and the other for more modern jars....

They do not give market values...but where they were manufactured...and feature write ups on some of the more recognized glass makers of the period...also a great patent reference guide as well as a trademark reference.....

David

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1