John G. Epping Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This (two part) snippet is from a 1927 Lexington, Kentucky directory ...

Epping NuGrape Lexington Directory 1927 (1).jpg

Epping NuGrape Lexington Directory 1927.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh

I have been navigating the maps you posted but so far haven't found anything related. But I did find this newspaper article about the new NuGrape bottling plant in Lexington. Because of the names its obviously pre-Epping. And even though it doesn't mention an address, I'm assuming its the 210 Clark Street location. However, it causes me to wonder about the 579-581 E 3rd address because why would Epping relocate so soon if he started out in a relatively new bottling facility? In other words, why move from 210 Clark Street to 579-581 E 3rd Street if the 210 Clark Street plant was almost brand new?

From ...

The Advocate Messenger ~ Danville, Kentucky ~ August 1, 1924

Note: I title all of my images for this discussion with Epping to keep them listed alphabetically in my files for easy access. I currently have 12,635 images on file, about 75% of which are soda pop related, and I try to keep them as organized as I can.

Epping NuGrape The Advocate Messenger Danville, KY Aug 1, 1924.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I looked on Google Earth for the 210 Clark Street location but all it shows is what appears to be relatively new buildings and parking lots.

jblaylock

Reaction score
Perhaps he started on 3rd st and moved to 210 Clark after acquiring Nu-Grape.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh

That possibility crossed my mind as well, but we really need some specific info to fit all the pieces of the puzzle together, such as where did Doty and Rooks relocate from when they moved into the new plant in 1924?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey, Josh

Looky what I found - from the map site you posted - on the 1943 Louisville map ...

Red X marks number 14. = Indian Mineral Wells

Epping Map Louisville 1943 14.jpg

Red X marks the spot for number 14. = Indian Mineral Wells

(You can see where Lagrange Road angles in from the northeast into Shelbyville Road)

(I checked the scale and Indian Mineral Wells and the junctions are two miles east of St. Matthews)

Epping Map 1943 Louisville.jpg

This is the Google Earth map I posted earlier and I was about 3/4 of a mile off. The red X marks the correct location for Indian Mineral Wells.

Epping Map St Matthews Kentucky Google Earth 2016 (4).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is from Google Earth and the yellow circle is the area where Indian Mineral Wells used to be. I 'drove' through the area using Google Earth's street-view tool but I could not see anything definite that might have been the old bottling plant. Its was a little confusing because what was Lagrange Road on the 1943 map is now called Whipps Mill Road. Another interesting but confusing thing I discovered while 'driving' around is that the large complex on the northwest side of Lagrange/Whipps Mill Road is a retirement facility called "Magnolia Springs East" but its on the wrong side of Lagrange Road unless the roads have be realigned/changed.

Here's a link to "Magnolia Springs East" but notice their address says Lagrange Road. And yet when I 'drive' around on Google Earth none of the roads in the entire area are called Lagrange, so I really don't know what to make of that part. I read their bio but didn't see anything about the place to indicate it was an actual mineral spring, but the name sure seems like quite a coincidence not to have some connection.

Magnolia Springs East
13600 LaGrange Road
Louisville, KY 40245
Jefferson County

http://www.aplaceformom.com/community/magnolia-springs-east-1354253

New Google Earth map ...

Epping Map Triangle.jpg

Street-view of "Magnolia Springs East" retirement facility

Epping Map Google Earth Magnolia Springs Whipps Mill Road.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The two maps together for closer comparison ...

Epping Map Triangle (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hold the phone!

I just this minute noticed there is a Whipps Mill Road on the 1949 map. I can't believe I missed seeing it earlier. So this means I need to do some more 'driving around' on Google Earth and see what I can find to the west near St. Matthews.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday