Just Found -- Embossed Pepsi Soda Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capackrat

Reaction score
A lot of excitement here...just found this morning a PEPSI stubby emossed screw top bottle near the TEAM heritage embossed crown op bottle I found earlier (~2/7/21) this month (about a bottle lengths away from each other.)

I hope I do a better job of documenting this find for provenance: images to be posted shortly...

...in the meantime I have two questions for the 'sage' members of this blog:

Question 1: When I was collecting older bottles in the UK in the 70's the 'rule of thumb' was that two bottles found at the same site established the location of a 'bottle dump'. Does this seem a reaonable generic definition these days?

Question 2: When were the embossed screw tops first released on the market?

Andy

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty questionable rule of thumb to me, especially with soda bottles. It could just as easily be that a few people were drinking soda together and left their bottles behind. Usually a bottle dump has lots of shards and ash and metal obviously visible alongside the bottles.

And I think those screw top soda bottles first showed up in the 70s.

capackrat

Reaction score
I agree with the questionable ROT, but I believe there are more bottles at this location...

How many do I 'reasonably' have to find for it to be called a "dump" location? 5 to 10, 10 to 20, 20 to 30,...etc.
or must it have " lots of shards and ash and metal obviously visible alongside the bottles"?

Andy

capackrat

Reaction score
Here is the image of the location. The first PEPSI TEEM embossed crown top bottle dated 1965 from LA plant was found under the old ivy 'tree' on a PG&E access lane (that was recenlty repaved) in the first blue circle on the left in the image.

Today's PEPSI embossed screw top bottle was found in the second blue circle to the right in the image and if you magnify the image you can see the base of the bottle protruding from the soil and roots (in exactly the same orienation as the PEPSI TEEM bottle found earlier).
Inked20210215_103444_LI.jpg

This was not visible yesterday but the recent rain and wind storms are exposing this 'road booty' along this lane.

Precleaning image with dimensions:

20210215_105203.jpg

Next is cleaning and coding...

Last edited:

capackrat

Reaction score
Bottle cleaned and confirmed to be 16oz in near mint condition. Not bad for ~46 years underground at subsurface.

Ironically it states "DO NOT LITTER" on the shoulder but by the 70's NDNR bettles that weren't trashed were just being tossed anywhere.

Here are the images:
20210215_115036.jpg
...the cat is not as excited about this find as I am...

20210215_115109.jpg

Coding research indicates this is a 1975 bottle from the Oakland Brockway plant...

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Here is the image of the location. The first PEPSI TEEM embossed crown top bottle dated 1965 from LA plant was found under the old ivy 'tree' on a PG&E access lane (that was recenlty repaved) in the first blue circle on the left in the image.

Today's PEPSI embossed screw top bottle was found in the second blue circle to the right in the image and if you magnify the image you can see the base of the bottle protruding from the soil and roots (in exactly the same orienation as the PEPSI TEEM bottle found earlier).
View attachment 219170

This was not visible yesterday but the recent rain and wind storms are exposing this 'road booty' along this lane.

Precleaning image with dimensions:

View attachment 219180

Next is cleaning and coding...
Happy for you. Good luck.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2