Just got back from the "Show In Low" ell

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Great stuff there and hi to everyone I saw and the ones I saw that I didn't get to say hi to. I did recognize some faces. If you saw me there I need to introduce my wife, she was the one I was with. Mary, this is them, them, this is Mary. Whew, that's a mouthfull. It had to be said though, I tend to forget my manners amoungst the all the excitement.
Now I'd like to tell you what I got. It's a short story but I'll make it long.
I have to admit I had next to nothing with me cash wise so I set out for something small and inexpensive. I thought, what fit's that bill better than a Bromo-Seltzer. There were a few there but I needed one that was flawless. Face it, if you gonna get a Bromo, do it right. Well I found one and it was in my budget. Maybe $10 is a little to much for a Bromo but it didn't even have a scratch. I bought it. Of course nothing is ever perfect and now I'm thinking "what the hell did I get another aqua med for". Yup an aqua med for $10. What was I thinking? To make matters worse whan I got it home and took the cork off to wash out the leftover powder I noticed how wavy the glass was...and that lip. The lip looked like it was an after thought and just got stuck on there... SHHHshhh. What happened to the nice, perfect, round lip! Then I looked even closer and I think whoever made the thing was drunk. The dam z was backwards.
Do you think I should try and take it back?
Here's a Bromo revival for your enjoyment while I'm here.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_59683/mpage_1/key_bromo/tm.htm#59717

2466780D806B40C497AED14986ED87A6.jpg

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Nice Find!

Here's a little bit of history I got off the web and posted on the "pit" a while back:

Bromos have a much cooler history as they were
invented in 1888 by Captain Issac Edward Emerson a chemistry
instructor turned pharmacist. In 1894 then "Lieutenant" Emerson
formed the Maryland Naval Reserves and in 1898 during the Spanish
American War provided the entire crew for the U.S.S. "Dixie". Of
course bromos took off, he became rich and erected in 1911 the Bromo-
Seltzer Tower Building a famous Baltimore landmark still standing
today. In it's day it was the tallest building in Baltimore having a
15th floor but only 14 since there was no 13th floor. Since removed,
it at one time sported a 51 foot high cast iron blue bromo bottle on
it's top that was illuminated with 596 blue lights and revolved. This
guy knew how to advertise! Eddie, make sure you put all this stuff
in when you relist those bromos! Also, supposedly since other bottle
suppliers couldn't keep up he had one of his employees start the
Maryland Glass Corporation which he owned controlling stock in.
Although most of these bottles are common in the Baltimore bottle
book some bromos are listed as uncommon and even rare!

Precious Little

Reaction score
I had fun at the Lowell show, too. I purchased a bottle that eluded me on eBay last spring (from my home town: "East Boothbay Spring Water" bottle, dark teal, labels in good shape), and it was great to talk to insulator experts and the milk bottle gang, and shop with like-minded souls. My son loved the kid's table & the donuts. Beats a great day at the mall hands-down. [:D] Still no "USA Hosp. Dept." trophy in my case, but that's OK. Gotta get rich first ...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yeh right, the Moxie hatter. Must have missed you. I saw one of the stoppers I talked about but I'm just not $25's interested. I know one will happen upon me sometime.
Forgot two things for the show. The dollar off coupons and worst of all, my camera, rats. Both were on the table when I got home. Glad you got a goodie too.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hey everyone,...We made the trip (1000 miles round trip) and had a good day...lots of nice people and good bottles,....my favorite has to be a small (4") supernice example of Barrell's indian linament....next a nice little pontiled "Batchleor's hair dye no.1" w/ the teeeniest flaw in one shoulder that I got from the kind folks at JENNROG collectables...then a super tealblue merchants gargling oil....plus a few others for the shelf... Great time... Joe

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem