Kern County California bottle - need helpimas please!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Alright, are you ready for a little story? Get ready for a big run-on sentence then!

I recently acquired this bottle for free from a younger brother of mine who was on summer break from college and got a job wrenching on airplanes at Inyokern Airport for a couple of weeks whist living there locally with an old collage friend of my dads (in his 60's now). While he was there, the guy and his wife had to make a run to pick up a vehicle that was on her old family ranch in Glennville, California. Long story short, my brother told the guys wife that his older brother collects bottles, and she then proceeded to recover over a dozen old bottles out of the attic. This bottle was the only soda bottle in the bunch, the rest I have already sold on Craigslist for $20. [;)]

The bottle reads "KERN COUNTY BOTTLING WORKS" and it is 6 1/2 oz. in size. The question I would like to ask of all you experts is this: does anyone has a good idea of the date of this bottle or its value? I would venture to guess that it is 1920's vintage.

Much thanks!

KernCountybottle1.jpg

In it's entirety: "Kern Country Bottling Works"
KernCountybottle2.jpg

The prominent "CK" mark on the bottom:
KernCountybottle3.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Bob,

Welcome back. Good story and a nice Twenties-Thirties looking soda to boot.

"38882 Kern County Kern County Bottling Crown Top Mint/Near Mint $40.00" From.

"38882 Kern County Bottling 40
Mint/Near Mint
B-26 Kern County CA" From.

"Union Avenue Plunge is credited for bringing competitive swimming to Bakersfield. In summer 1932 Bakersfield Swimming Club started swimming and diving meets at Union Avenue Plunge. Swimmers and sponsors were Tom Eddy for Leidy's Market, Miss Irene Heberle for Malcolm Brock's Department Store, Billie O'Brien for Harry Coffee Store, Miss Peggy Fyfe for Abe Reigler [sic],31 James Moon for Penney's Department Store, Loren Martin for Nile Theater, Harry Lemucchi for Lemucchi Grocery, and Leonard Shrot for Kern County Bottling Works.32" --32 Bakersfield Californian, Jun 6, 1932" From.

I'd run it by the Kern County Museum 3801 Chester Avenue Bakersfield, CA 93301 (805) 861-2132 for further information, were I you.

1985_63.jpg

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
surfaceone -

I am not Bob! This is the CaliKid.

But, I do know who Bob is.......why that low down good-for-nothing.........! (j/k Bob)

Thanks for the info, this is why I love this site. You guys are amazing.

I do not live in Bakersfield, I live in Santa Paula, but I travel into Kern Country quite often - in fact I was actually in Bako last Monday. Do you live there?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Kid,

Nah, don't live in Bakersfield, though I've been through there several times. I did see a brief news clip that they are fighting several lightning sparked fires, now. Hope they contain them.

Do you ever do any good finding bottles after roadside brush fires, or are they too toasty?

historicphoto2711lookingsou.jpg
From.

celerycola

Reaction score
Kern County Bottling Works was sued by Coca-Cola in 1925 because they were franchise bottler of a Los Angeles based drink called Kal-Kola.

Do you happen to have a Taft Soda Works bottle?

2ED71584A75A478386755A1CA05593EF.jpg

Attachments

• 2ED71584A75A478386755A1CA05593EF.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 49

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hey Kid,

Nah, don't live in Bakersfield, though I've been through there several times. I did see a brief news clip that they are fighting several lightning sparked fires, now. Hope they contain them.

Do you ever do any good finding bottles after roadside brush fires, or are they too toasty?

historicphoto2711lookingsou.jpg
From.

To be honest, I've never tried it.

Yeah, one of those fires was sparked on Labor Day weekend (hence why I drove through Bako on that Monday.) and I happened to be camping in a place that had a fire tower lookout at 9,400 feet.

The BLM guy was up in there. Had a good 20 min talk about stuff.

FireLO2.jpg

FireLO3.jpg

FireLO4.jpg

FireLO5.jpg

FireLO1.jpg

FireLO6.jpg

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: celerycola

Kern County Bottling Works was sued by Coca-Cola in 1925 because they were franchise bottler of a Los Angeles based drink called Kal-Kola.

Do you happen to have a Taft Soda Works bottle?

Yes, I think I do. A 1944 Coca Cola.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.