L.G. Mayo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pale scotsman

Reaction score
Here's another head scratcher for me. L.G. should be for Laurens Glass works, but the Mayo? There was a Mayo drug store in the Brewton, AL area and a Lawrence Mayo that died in 1930. Maybe that's a reach, but I've searched all around for another bottle like this and have come up with nothing. The only other markings are the trademark registered and min contents 7 oz.

Thanks,
Ian

269215132E6A42348A95E64B42262187.jpg

Attachments

• 269215132E6A42348A95E64B42262187.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 93

LoganHusky123

Reaction score
Here's another head scratcher for me. L.G. should be for Laurens Glass works, but the Mayo? There was a Mayo drug store in the Brewton, AL area and a Lawrence Mayo that died in 1930. Maybe that's a reach, but I've searched all around for another bottle like this and have come up with nothing. The only other markings are the trademark registered and min contents 7 oz.

Thanks,
Ian

Ian,

Hi. My name is Mac.

L. G. Mayo whose name was on the bottom of the bottle was my Great Grandfather Lawrence Green Mayo. He was the owner of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company in Brewton, Alabama. My Grandmother Elizabeth Mayo Fay lived on Evergreen St. in Brewton. When we were kids my brother found some of these bottles underneath her house. I believe the bottle you have is a straight-sided Coca-Cola bottle.

L.G. Mayo at one time owned thousands of acres in the forest around South Alabama and Northern Florida. In the 1920's he ran off with some woman whom my Grandmother called "some floozy" down to Pensacola. He died in 1930 and is buried in the Union Cemetery in Brewton, Alabama. Soon after his death my Great Aunt was the executor of his estate. She was allegedly swindled by the family attorney who convinced her to sell all of the family's Coca-Cola stock. It was at the beginning of the Great Depression. From what I was told, the attorney told her that people needed food and jobs, not Coca-Cola. She sold all of the stock for pennies on the dollar. Guess who allegedly bought all of the stock? The attorney. Again, this is the story I was told by my Grandmother some forty years ago.

Another interesting fact was L. G. Mayo was very close friends with Walter and Bessie Bellingrath of Mobile, Alabama. Walter was the owner of the Coca-Cola Bottling Companies in both Mobile and Montgomery. Check out Bellingrath Gardens if you are unfamiliar. https://bellingrath.org/announcement/bellingrath-arrives-in-mobile-2/

Anyway, It's been 13 years since your post. I hope this helps.

Mac
Lima, Peru

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen