Labeled Opium Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
At $10 I decided to go for the risk.
Brocke.JPG
I'm not sure if it's an F., T., or R. in front of "Opium U.S.P. / W-R Warner. 1919" on front of a Poison label advertising Seventh Street Pharmacy of Grand Rapids, Michigan (this pharmacy seems a bit obscure, but I found both druggists at the bottom of the label active around that time in G.R., also as a grocer), the label being on a Hazeltine & Perkins Drug Co. bottle.
Dig After Accident 030.jpgBob North First Editions 069.JPG
U.S.P. is United States Pharmacopoeia. That had already been around for a while and would, by this early 1919 date, have been allowed to produce and distribute opium.
I say 'early' because on the back of the bottle is a heavily damaged label that says, "IN STR???????? Fe(b?) 25 / Inventory 1919".
Bob North First Editions 069.jpgBilly Johnson.jpg
The pen is correct for the period, and so is the label style. I have a few 1910s bottles similar to this that are also tooled, so it seems correct-- but at the same time it seems too good to be true.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Looks good to me too. The bottle is a bit weird but the label looks too good to not be true and the base embossing shows that it is from more or less that time period. I'd have certainly done $10 for that one as well!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Thank you, Botlguy.

Canadian Bottles, the bottle is a typical American apothecary bottle. H. & P. D. Co. had millions like this for their products.The bottle must have been reused by the pharmacists.

I think it's Tincture of Opium, as it looks like a Tr in front of opium.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2