Last weeks finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

IRISH

Reaction score
Finaly got around to cleaning and photographing last weeks finds, not much for three days but some OK finds.

The marble bottle is a Fletcher, Warrnambool with crossed flags tm, middle is a John Stewart, Kirkliston whiskey from an 1850's-60's patch (I've no idea where Kirkliston is), next is a 1920's Cockatoo jam jar I had not seen before. The medicene is a Wilkinson Pectorine for coughs and colds (also one I've never heard of), the company operated in Warrnambool, Marybough and Melbourne. The last item is a little glass Jesus on a cross, it's a bit banged up and damaged but an interesting thing all the same.

The item of the trip was a George Hughes, Melbourne 1850s torpedo bottle found by Oz-riley.

Bz77450.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77450.jpg
    Bz77450.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 68

IRISH

Reaction score
Close up of the cross, this has got to be at least from 1900 if not before (due to where it was found).

Fd92518.jpg

Attachments

• Fd92518.jpg
    Fd92518.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 61

dirtflicker

Reaction score
How about a closeup of the nice aqua med bottle.....that looks like a SWEETY!!! NICE DIGS IRISH!

IRISH

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive [:D] .

It has no makers id but is probably Melbourne Glass Bottle Works (or English made) going by the colour and moulding style. Bit of a chip in the lip but still a rare item (only one as far as I know).

Lj22474.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22474.jpg
    Lj22474.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 70

madman

Reaction score
hello irish, nice finds! love the med sweet mike

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day Irish

The Kirkliston bottle sounds interesting: there is a Kirkliston in Scotland near Edinburgh which had a whisky distillery.

it originally started in 1795 as the Lambsmiln Distillery before later changing its name to the more memorable Kirkliston Distillery.

By the 1880s and after a series of different owners, Kirkliston Distillery was producing some 700,000 gallons of grain and malt whisky each year. The distillery ceased whisky production in the 1900s, but was later taken over by Scotmalt to produce malt extract for the food industry and for home brew beer kits.

Source: Undiscovered Scotland Website - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kirkliston/kirkliston/

Further info gleaned from Google:
The works were formerly the property of Messrs. John Stewart and c:eek:., who purchased them in the year 1855 from Messrs. Buchan & Co. At that time the Distillery turned out about 2,000 gallons a week, but now, at a push, it has made 20,000 gallons in the same time. In 1878 it was acquired by the distillers Company, Limited, Mr. Stewartremaining Managing Director,assisted by his son, Mr. J. C. Stewart, who acts as bis Sub-Manager.

Source: Single Malt Whisky Website - http://www.peatfreak.com/alfred-barnard-kirkliston.php

So it would seem your estimate of 1850-60's is spot on.

Coincidentally, there are also properties in South Australia and Northern Territory by the name of Kirkliston.

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

IRISH

Reaction score
Thanks heaps Dirranbandi [:)] , great to know a bit about it.

I'd forgot too, I found a plain torpedo in the same spot as the whiskey and not far from where Chris got his rare Melbourne torpedo [:mad:] .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie