Latest privy finds~~picture

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Here are my finds from a privy dug a few days ago in Centralia, PA. Centralia is that famous town near Ashland where the coal mines under it caught on fire in the 1960s and the government tore all the houses down and made everyone move out. The mines are still burning today and only about 12 people live there now. Anyways, my friend and I dug a privy and found over 70 clay pipes in it. Unfortunately we only found 5 medicine bottles and all were common but we were satisfied with the pipes. The picture only shows half of them because my buddy got the other half. The two near the bottom are completely intact and the one says Homerule on the bowl piece.

~~Tom (bottleman12)

Lj22141.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22141.jpg
    Lj22141.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 66

diginit

Reaction score
Get the glue. I can see 2 that fit together just in the picture.
Repaired is better than broken.

Bottleman

Reaction score
I am way ahead of you Diginit, right after I took the picture I got out a tube of superglue and found 7 that fit back together. It took me about an hour because some were very close but just didn’t fit perfectly. You are right though, anything repaired is better then broken. The mine firers were actually stared by a burn pile that collapsed into a mine and spread.

~~Tom

Tandy

Reaction score
I seem to have seen or read quite recently that Centralia had some sort of Civil War fame. Might there be relics there?

Bottleman

Reaction score
O.T., I have no idea there value but I think they are really cool anyways. It’s neat to think that an old coal miner actually smoked out of theses pips over a 100 years ago. I know one of my bottle digging buddies gets $2 a piece for the broken ones at shows.

~~Tom

diggerjeff

Reaction score
those are fairly common pipes. i often dig 5-6 from a hole. the ones you want for value are the figural with peoples busts ect..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen