LIGHTNING JARS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Kim, the cheapest way to ship to the US is to put the shipping address on a peice of sturdy paper, place it in the bottle and put a watertight stopper in the top, and toss it as far out into the surf as possible! It will take awhile but eventually it'll get here! lol. By the way, I just heard a weather forcast, tomorrow afternoon it's supposed to start snowing here and continue into Wednesday, 8 - 12"! Will spring ever get here!

Kim

Reaction score
Hey Norm
Lol, I don't think I will be asking you to ship me any bottles. I made the mistake of pulling a couple of boxes from the shed, mostly old wares handed down through the family. Now I have a super mess of old stuff and don't really know what to do with it, maybe we could have an auction on my front lawn. I have an old lamp and researched it, found it in a book and it is valued around $800 14 years ago. The picture below is my most favourite piece but I really don't know what it is. You might be able to enlighten me on it. Is it a Jar? I found another tin of nitrite with 6 nebules in it.Hmm!
I can't believe you are having snow conditions. Not long ago we were have 42degree heat. I guess, like us, we like the perfect prospecting conditions [8D]. Too hot , too cold, we would like permanent spring or autumn around 25 degrees and cruising.lol.
Thanks Kim

Ay74179.jpg

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Kim, I have a basement full of 'stuff' I just couldn't part with when I put it down there, now i need to get rid of it to make room for the bottles I can't bear to part with! lol - You container at first glance looks like a honey or spice jar. Is the top vented? Are there any markings on the base - mfg. or pattern #. China or ceramic? If it didn't have the handle and the lid, I would think it was the base of a lamp. There aren't any ashes in it are there? Maybe it contains someone's great, great auntie! lol

Kim

Reaction score
Goodmorning Norm!
No ashes lol. Every time I read your posts I burst into laughter. The jar? isn't vented but if there were ashes in it they woudn't need to breath anyway,lol. On the base it says"ENGLAND" and a number (I think) "3116" It is really hard to read it. I am now wondering what you all must be thinking while your hunting for bottles. Norm, each bottle would have a history and I can picture you digging away, finding a bottle, picking it up in your hand and analysing it. Like Hmmm! "Did this travel thousands of miles over the seas with a message in it" or "Did this have somebodys ashes in it" lol. Know while I am detecting I am thinking "If I were a piece of gold sitting on top of a hill, where would I travel to?" Next thing I know I am off looking at a place I believe to be it's destination. lol. It doesn't always work but on occasions I 'm right.[:D].
Regards
Kim

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Kim, my thoughts about the top being vented was wondering if it was used for potporri, or rose petals or something. I know, it's a ceramic purse from the Queen Mother's estate! lol. Yes, I do like considering where the bottles I found have been, I am facinated with history and old things in general. We have found letters from the 1830's in our homes walls when we did some remodeling, and they are wonderful to read. I found a real prize last autumn when I rebuilt my front stoop, two of the granit slabs that made up the original steps, and a heavy brass key about 8'' long. I've shown it to a collector and he said it's from about 1795 - 1820, so I'm guessing it was original to the house. No gold so far though!

oz-riley

Reaction score
The flowered ceramic is a Biscuit Barrel, would be used to hold and serve Biscuits (Cookies) to the more uperclass guests.

Thanks
Chris

Maine Digger

Reaction score
So Pretty close when I said it might be connected to royalty! lol - Hey Oz- I already asked Kim this, are you being affected in your area by the locusts?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen