Liniment bottle age help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kat9375

Reaction score
I've got a pine oil liniment bottle from the Astyptodyne Chemical Company in Wilmington, NC (near my hometown!) which actually is still in business. (I read about what they used this for back in the day--I gotta get me some of this stuff![:D])

The bottle appears to have originally had a cork. I think it's a BIM and the top is a tooled finish. On the bottom is LGW: Laurens Glass Works, Laurens, SC, which operated from 1910-1996. I dont see a mold seam on the bottom of the bottle, but there is one on the sides, which fades out at the top of the bottle.

I at least know the bottle is post-1910 because LGW started operating in 1910.
I read somewhere that not having a seam on bottom means it dates to before 1915-1920...? I am not too sure about that part. Can anyone give me any advice on how to continue researching the date on this bottle?

DSC_0049_small.jpg

DSC_0050_small.jpg

kranked003

Reaction score
sounds like you have a good idea already on a date. noone here knows exactly when a bottle is made. you have an idea and that should suffice. take all of the clues you have and make an educated guess.

thats the fun of collecting!

kat9375

Reaction score
Oh, I wasnt looking for an exact date, or anything [:D] I am just unsure about my reasoning for the latter date and hoped someone knew what they were talking about better than me!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
A tooled lip basically just tells you the bottle was hand made as opposed to being made in a machine. Machine made bottles started being used after the turn of the 20th century but bottles were still being made by hand also.
The manufacturing style is really only ONE clue in determining the age. The history of the company is another important clue. I would think the first or second decade of the 20th century seems likely based on the style. Seems like you are going in the right direction. The part about the seam on the bottom isnt really meaningful in this case.

madman

Reaction score
ahh yes 1900 1910 cool bottle --mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter