Liquor bottle found while diving - need ID help please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
In my opinion it is definitely liquor related, I'm thinking more Whiskey or Whisky like Scotch or Irish. The top / finish has that look. If American that drippy top would indicate, as Red said, 1860 - 70, if Scotch or Irish it could be that early or a little later.
I'll go along with scotch/whiskey but push the date to around 1910-30 from Scotland. Nice diving find but very common.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

In my opinion it is definitely liquor related, I'm thinking more Whiskey or Whisky like Scotch or Irish. The top / finish has that look. If American that drippy top would indicate, as Red said, 1860 - 70, if Scotch or Irish it could be that early or a little later.
I'll go along with scotch/whiskey but push the date to around 1910-30 from Scotland. Nice diving find but very common.
I have and have had a lot of trouble dating bottles from across the pond (Atlantic). I would enjoy a definitive tutorial from one of our forum experts on the subject. It seems to me that British and Continental manufacturers used hand made techniques much longer than we here in the States did.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Here's something to think about. The earliest Owens machines were before the 1906 date we think of and used in only a few plants. In around 1909 they were really just getting into gear with some expansion but also a few patent rights for the earlier stuff being sold abroad. The rights had to be converted into machines that functioned but still had to be made. Shipping the whole thing would be expensive.
All the while improvements were constantly be made.
Even here blown bottles were into the 1910-20 by many companies so you can't say we were a total, sudden conversion. I'd guess a 5 - 10 year lag for the foreign market on top of that.
That's my theory.

TROG

Reaction score
This bottle is definitely of English manufacture and is for wine (more likely)or whiskey and dates to around 1890 -1900

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie