locating outhouse location

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bluegrassfan76

Reaction score
The house we live in is located in the country and was built in the early 20's and I've been thinking it would be interesting to dig up the old privy location but I have no idea how to locate the exact spot it would have sat. Any tips from you guys who have been doing this for a while? Thanks!MIKE

botlguy

Reaction score
It may not even have a privy. Does it have a septic tank now or is it somehow connected to a sewer? They may have had septic system regulations in place by the time the house was built. No outhouse / privy, no bottles. Jim

bluegrassfan76

Reaction score
I've wondered that because it does have a septic system. Shortly after we moved in about 18 years ago I had to replace the old clay tile septic line that was all broken up. It looked to be an old system. That's part of the reason I've not really tried to hard to figure out where the privy would have been.MIKE

sunrunner

Reaction score
there may be a out house some where on t he property but where ? it may have been where the septic is now . with out knowing the lay out of the property it cud be anyplace . look for souk in spot in the yard , if you have a barn check on the sides for depurations .

hemihampton

Reaction score
If it in the city probably to new for a Outhouse/Privy, if in country could of had one. Check in back corners of lot with probe or along back & sides of property line. LEON.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
All I can say is if early 20's is as old as you'll find make sure you sift it. Coins, marbles and odd bit's may be all you'll want to keep.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1