Locke's Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey Jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger
I forget what the total was, maybe a hundred something.  Just thinking about that now makes me tear up.  I was so nervous about the operation! 

That's nothing! Actually, they have faded a lot on my face - they're not as noticable as when I was a kid - but my arms are still very freckled.
I still have my tonsils - I used to want to get them out when I was a kid because when my cousin had them out, he got to eat lots of ice cream and he could swallow a potato chip whole.[8|] Why I wanted to be able to do that, I don't know.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I'm just starting to google about Locke's now... wanted to share the jug with everybody, as it's nice.

Found this to start with. Pretty interesting
http://www.lockesdistillerymuseum.ie/index1.html

cyberdigger

Reaction score
...did somebody say "freckles" ?? ..count me in for a million or two!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Could be more or less, I don't remember. I still get them a lot on my shoulders, even with sunblock. The ones on my face faded a lot too.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Dang, that is a cool jug! I bet someone would pay at least a bill for it unless it is really common for some reason.

Not only does it have a label but it is from a company that still exists! The name John Locke should also attract philosophy buffs (and the less commendable pop-culture buffs). I bet the presence of the label would make it particularly desirable, especially to the collectors from across the pond.

I have a question regarding your stated heritage, if you don't mind. Are you part Pennsylvania Deutsch, or Pennsylvania Deitsch? I know that a lot of people assume that "PA Dutch" means that they are descendants of people who came from what is now the Netherlands, but I believe that most "PA Dutch" are actually people of German descent (a case could be made for the people from the Netherlands being essentially germans by heritage anyway, though) and the assumption is due to the americanized/anglicized corruption of the native words. Not saying that you don't know this, not by any means, i'm just curious.

I am part Jap, Kraut, Dutch, Irish, English, Scottish, French, Slovak, Russian Jew, and probabably a few more slavic type peoples (It seems that we in america have forgotten the race of people who gave us the word "slave" in the first place, but that's a can of worms that I don't care to pull from the bottom of any lake!)

Not trying to nitpick, and I guess I shouldn't really ask about the heritage of someone I don't know and won't meet, but I wonder nonetheless. The USA in interesting in regards to the variagated ethnic backgrounds that many of us have. I doubt that anywhere else can claim such a diverse mix of peoples. I like it here, since almost everyone is a mutt too! [:)]

Plumbata

Reaction score
Ah!

Out of curiosity I searched the "Irish industrial development association", and found something that can help date the jug more adequately:

Irish Industrial Development Association, (IIDA), an informal federation of local industrial development associations. The first was established in Cork in 1903; others subsequently emerged in major towns and cities such as Belfast, Dublin, Galway, and Derry. In 1906 the IIDa registered an Irish national trade mark, consisting of a Celtic motif inside a circle that contained the words Déanta in Éirinn (made in Ireland)

Since the jug's label bears the trademark, it can't possibly date from before 1906, so the age would probably be between 1906 and Prohibition. Probably doesn't help the value too much, but who knows.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Another thing I should have added:

by 1920 there were over 700 licensed users (of the trademark).

If the numbers within the Celtic motif trademark are in any way related to the numerical/chronological order of business registration, and the distillery was the 429th business to register out of 700 who had done so by 1920, then I highly doubt that the jug is from before 1910. Probably closer to 1915 than the optimistic 1890-1910 guesstimate.

The internet is pretty useful, eh?

Just Dig it

Reaction score
Representing The Freckle to the fullest over here..its to the point where i cant do anything but wait for them to connect and see if i get a perma tan or skin cancer

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Plumbata - good googling!
Rather than knock myself out trying to research that more on the internet, I have emailed the museum. Hopefully I will hear back from them.

Regarding PA Dutch - yeah - German, as in Deutschland. 9th generation, if I'm not mistaken. Heinrich Bartholomew the Elder immigrated to the colonies in approx 1752. I could be a member of DAR if I so desired. I live within 20 miles of where they emmigrated to in the 1750s
My mother's side is more convoluted and varied. My grandmother lives in England, my mom grew up in Scotland, but was born in the US during WWII. Grandfather is English, grandmother American - grew up in Concord, MA, went to college in Ann Arbor, where much of the family lived. Family was also previously in London Ontario, Toronto, Port Huron, Pittsburgh, PA, & most recently (within the last 70 or so years) became southerners, moving to West Point/Columbia GA.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH