Long Island, NY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stevejt

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post here. Anyone on Long Island, (NY)? The only place I know isn't that old. I guess it was used as late as the 40's or 50's. Nothing valuable, just alot of interesting bottles. I guess the best ones are gettig harder ti find. I have found alot of cork top bottles there, if that helps with the age. I recently found another cork top clorox. I know not worth much at all, but I just enjoy old different bottles, I'm not upset I don't have any gold in my colection. It's somewhere between 1 and 2 acres, possibly closer to two. They are building near the edge of it and I am afraid it might get covered next spring. It's the only place I know, and only place I've ever dug. Litteraly TONS of glass. Would also love to dig somewhere else.

Steve

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Steve, Welcome to the forum. A dump that big should have an older area to it. Dig some test holes all around to locate it. Make sure you dig all the way to the bottom of the dump. A place where you don't find any clorox bottles will be the place to start. It may go back as far as 1900.

stevejt

Reaction score
I haven't beally been there in years. I went back a few weeks ago and when I saw the construction getting so close I made a few more trips when I had the time. I am still worried this coming spring it will be totally buried.
I always knew that it seemed like MOSTLY (with exceptions), that the same type of bottles were found together, sometimes in small groups, sometimes in large areas. The entire area is lower than the sorrounding woods. I think they might have planned to use it longer than they did, which would explain why it's so large. Two areas that I have dug recently are only about 2 feet deep, before the glass comes to a halt. However, there is one spot about 60 feet across that almost looks like they had a huge pit dug, and didn't finish filling it up. The next time I go, I will try to hit bottom there. It's hard to know how much is really there. It's all overgrown with grass and thorns in half of it.

Steve

firerockss

Reaction score
Hey Steve,
if your looking for a buddy to go bottle digging with,let me know. I'm just starting but I always have ben a explorer of the woods and backroads of the Island. I'm in Nassau County. Email me at angelundrground@aol.com

See Ya :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter