looking for Union Bottling Works Columbus, GA soda bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GaryWL

Reaction score

I am looking for a Union Bottling Works bottle from Columbus, GA to include in my collection of Chero Cola, Nehi, and RC bottle collection.​

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I'll ask my friend when he returns my HIT bottle...I had one in my collection
they are tough to find...

bottlebugs

Reaction score
btw...have you ever seen a "Nehi Cola" bottle...one that says "Cola" instead of "The Best" or "Beverages"?

GaryWL

Reaction score
Discovered I had two, both 6 1/2 oz. Are these rare, hard to find, or is it that I just haven't run across many? I noticed on my tall Nehi bottles they show Nehi on the top ring then some show Chero-Cola on the bottom ring and some show Nehi on the bottom ring? What can you tell me about these? Also are there 9 oz. Nehi Cola bottles? Obviously I have not done much research about the different Nehi Bottles just did read the history of RC/Chero Cola because I was finding so many Chero Cola bottles.

Attachments

• IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

bottlebugs

Reaction score
They are very very rare! Keep them close! I'll bet they are from the 1924 period when Coke kept hammering Chero for the use of the word "cola". Are they marked Chero Cola on the heel? The 9 oz were the go to size for the Nehi brand, thus the name Ne-Hi (Knee High) as Cokes were only 6 1/2 oz. I was only looking for one of those 9 oz type and I got one thanks.

There are later 9 oz varieties that just say Nehi on the heel up until they changed to the Royal Crown Corp in the 1930s. Later Nehi's after the war (WW2) dropped to 7 oz because sugar was more costly after the war for a bit.

Yes you will find Chero Cola bottles galore. Coke put them out of business for the use of the word cola....until Royal Crown Cola won in court (in Canada I believe) in1934!

I sold off most of my bottles a few years ago but found a couple of caps so I decided to match them up. I remembered see just one Nehi-Cola in my travels but it was bid on heavily on FeeBay so I gave up. I couldn't remember what size it was. Now I know. Thanks. to you!

s-l500-4.jpg

This isn't my cap...my camera is on the fritz so I attached another for reference.
My cap is from the Nehi Bottling Company and has only the 9 oz marking but no town.

s-l1600-2.jpg

This is the period for my cap...pre 1928.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNMilkMan