Looking on coral islands

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crkgrl

Reaction score
I have been vacationing on some coral islands for a couple of years and trying to satisfy my quest for the hunt, while there. Through much research I have located some old homesteads on my island and walked about them. Becaues of the impermiability of the coral, there isnt much digging.

I wonder what they would use for privies? Any hints on finding privies or other potential bottle areas? The old dump has been built upon, I believe. I have found some newer sites on backroads. There are some old cisterns around also. In the water itself, is always an options and I have a couple of offshore islands I would like to check out. Open to suggestions.

capsoda

Reaction score
Old cisterns are always prime places to look,also look for old wells. Metal detecting the beaches is also a good idea as coins and such will roll in and out with the waves. I wouldn't go down a cistern or well with out a second. Snorkeling may also turn up some good finds.

crkgrl

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I found a site with both from a chance meeting with an old timer. Since he was into bottles, he may have picked the cisterns and wells pretty clean. The interior of the wells and cisterns are open, somewhat shallow, and now filled with leaves, dirt etc. They are maybe 3-5 feet deep.

Do you usually just go in and start poking around or are there other secrets? I have been warned about not going alone, but so far have found no one to attempt it with me. I will work on that. What are the dangers? Getting in over your head literally, I presume, and not able to get out? Any others? Guess I could tie a rope to my waist and a tree. Sounds like another great adventure.

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
hey crkgrl ,sounds like there's no problem with SNOW,its like" capsoda "says ,snorkeling could be worthwhile,look for drop off's into the ocean around the sites,also the sand off to one side could be a good spot.
Look for deep breaks in the coral,you will probably need a probe.

crkgrl

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the tips. I asked more about the probes in a different post.

There is an old site where the ferry used to dock. I wondered if this would be a good spot. Guess you could use the probe underwater in the sand. Friend also has a undewater device that you hold onto with both hands and it propels you through the water. I always thought if I held it in reverse it would be great for blowing away the sand underwater. How deep do you think artifacts would be under the sand? I am not sure when the ferry stopped running. Somewhere from the late 1930's to 40's, I am guessing.

capsoda

Reaction score
A ferry landing would be a great place to look. If you are in the Gulf or Carabean most bottles will be close to or on the surface with all the disturbances of the past to years. For a probe look in the trunk of those big old late 60s early 70s Ford, Lincolns and Mercurys in the junk yards. There are two rods that go from one hinge to the other. They are spring steel. Have someone weld them to a handle of your liking, all the way through the handle. Some people have a ball bearing welded to the business end, I just blunt mine. Wells and cisterns, you grab a buddy, one goes down and probes, if you hit something you dig. With time and pratice you will be able to tell if what you hit is whole or not and metal, glass or rock most of the time.

crkgrl

Reaction score
Warren, Thanks for the great advice. I may have to improvise on the probe, since I am leaving soon, but will check it out now or later.

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Depends on the depth of water around the ferry dock and how big the prop on the ferry was.The rotation of the prop could very well have pushed any debris to the sides.
If there is a depression below the end of the dock,then check the sides all around.
<HR>
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Dave.

crkgrl

Reaction score
Hey David,
Thanks also. I was looking at a picture of one of the ferries from about 1932. It looks like they traveled about 10 MPH and were big enough to carry 20 cars. Not sure if that will help with prop size but factoring in, anyway. The boats themelves do not look that massive. Bet that was a fun journey in any kind of wind. Having good weather for snorkeling has been a problem in the past down there but I will hope for some calmer seas and better visibility.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229