Looking to Dig a Coca Cola Site

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MedBottle1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking to dig a Coca Cola bottling site from the early 1900s. I have just found the bottling location on my sanborn map but the roads are confusing because it would have been next to a railroad track but the road that led to the track apparently was changed and merged onto a main highway. I am 99% sure this is the site. My question is, the maps show that the building was one story and had a cement floor, but the building has been demolished. What should i be looking for in terms of locating any bottles? I know they will not be laying on the top of the ground, but might they be buried somewhere nearby? Hurts my ego they had a cement floor so now bottles under a crawl space. Any hope for me here or should I just move on? I really want a script bottle from this site SOOOO BAD!

MedBottle1

Reaction score
Total heart-breaker [:(] The top is busted off. Purchased in a store but I am confident there is one around here somewhere! [attachment=image.jpg]

Attachments

• 6ad7b45549ec4340bbe6be461228f88a.jpg
    6ad7b45549ec4340bbe6be461228f88a.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 88

luckiest

Reaction score
I always head straight for the low ground or where there is a natural dumping area with new trash, dig through the layers and see what you can see.

MedBottle1

Reaction score
I have to dig this....what if....one foot....under the ground! Haha! Thanks luckiest!

sunrunner

Reaction score
look for any depressions on the property line . look for shards of glass. and ash.Dont be surprised if what you fined is damaged . Most bottleing dumps wood have stuff thay cud not reuse.

MedBottle1

Reaction score
Snap. Well I guess I will pass on this then. If it is meant to be a whole one will find its way to me :) Thanks for all the info guys. P.S. I also found the local Chero Cola plant :) :) :)

grime5

Reaction score
if you dig the chero plant you might find a coke bottle.lots of times they would throw the competions bottles away to cost them more money to buy new bottles. later greg

CaptainSandune

Reaction score
When digging an old bottling site I always go under the concrete. I have found they often buried the old bottles and would pave over them. There is also less of a chance that others have already dug there.

T D

Reaction score
I'm assuming Dawson is much like the small Georgia towns that we have dug in. You may of had some bottles that were buried right around the plant, but more likely they were hauled by wagon or truck to a bad neighborhood, behind a cemetery, or someone connected to the plant who had land and had a big hole they wanted to fill. Talk to old locals that may have heard stories in their childhood. You've got to get out and walk and find what looks like old road beds. Remember, it may be a stand of trees now and the glass is under leaves, briars, and other bad stuff. Finding country Coca Cola dumps are nothing like finding city dumps and while Sandborn Maps are great to locate privies and such, they won't help you much unless you are lucky enough to find something marked "dump". We keep searching- that's what makes it fun

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2