lots of bottles on bottom

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bigdig

Reaction score
hi im a commercial diver and I know places I can retrieve hundreds of old bottles,any information on marketing them appreciated. Also methods of removing coral and barnacles.thanks

ronvae

Reaction score
I think e-bay is where most people sell them, and I think there was a thread about removing barnacles under "cleaning & repairing" sometime within the last year...

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Welcome BigDig...

I am also a commercial diver and it sounds to me like you are from the Boston area, or you have done some of the diving on the Big Dig project. I am located here in Southern Maine and I have two close friends that I dive with on my off time. I have some good contacts and outlets for bottles.

As far as cleaning the underwater bottles, I use a half and half mixture of water and muriatic acid. That seems to do the trick on most of the hard coraline algae, barnacles and growth. After you remove them from the acid bath, put them into a bucket of fresh water and rinse them thouroghly.

When doing the "acid bath" you MUST use appropriate cautions...

long rubber gloves

do it outside with plenty of ventilation

keep children away

make sure you have a tight fitting top for the bucket (we use 5 gallon buckets)

Store in a safe place, outside

when the acid gets old, poor baking soda into the mixture to nuetralize the acid befor disposal

When you find a nice "Keeper" no cracks, chips, , you may find mild scratches on it, so have the bottle professionally cleaned which costs anywhere between 12 to 20 dollars depending on who you go to. Hope this helps you.

Wayne

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229