lt. amethyst salt shaker?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, dug this last tue. it's 2 3/4" tall, 1 1/2" across base, no markings. the glass is very thick and heavy. it is lt amethyst in color, not sure it will show in scan. any information as to age and if it is pressed glass or cut? thanks for any help, rhona

Xv63982.jpg

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Hey nice one. Salt or pepper shaker for sure. I am leaning towards cut glass but could be wrong. As for age??? I am not sure on that either but might put it from 1890-1910.

Anyone else got any ideas?

BA

tncgal

Reaction score
From the photo, your shaker appears to be pressed. Looks like Imperial Glass or McKee Glass, but I would need more photos to determine the pattern.

Cut glass is very sharp feeling (like it would cut your fingers when you pick it up). Another way to tell if it's cut is to sight along the slant edge of part of the pattern to see if you can see the marks left by the cutting tool. It won't be perfectly smooth.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi ba and tncgal, thanks for looking and the information. after checking the glass i would say cut glass. there are 2 diff. patterns that alternate around the bottle. it is not in the best of shape. i hope the diff. patterns show in this scan. thanks, rhona

Vt58246.jpg

Attachments

• Vt58246.jpg
    Vt58246.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 57

David E

Reaction score
Looks like it is pressed sun colored glass to me. It is a known pressed pattern.
First introduced by New England Glass in 1827, but not popular until the 1840"s to about 1915.
Dave

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi david e, thanks for looking and the info. it is pressed glass. i don't know why i put cut in the last post. it is sun colored lt. amythyst. any guess on date of this piece? thanks again, rhona

tncgal

Reaction score
Your shaker is Fostoria Glass Co., pattern No. 600 called Brazilian, ca. 1898. BV is shown to be around $25-35.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter