lunch hour finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

batfish

Reaction score
All right, I'm becoming a little obsessed with this whole bottle thing. I can't imagine how bad it will get if I ever find anything that has value! I found these three in my usual spot during my lunch break, today.

So, what do I have here? Any ideas? Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Batfish

BTW – Woody, where are you in NH? I’m in Litchfield.

batfish

Reaction score
ok - here they are...

Wu60433.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Wu60433.jpg
    Wu60433.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 93

batfish

Reaction score
The bottle on the far right has some graduated markings - like it was some sort of medical bottle. It has a very rusty screw top. Any way to dissolve the rust off?

I did a search on the web for my Foss' Liquid Fruit Flavoring bottle and it seems to be worth a couple of bucks! Woo Hoo! Still, I know nothing about the age.

Am I still in the 1940's, here?

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Batfish . . .

Oxalic acid, available in your local paint store as "wood bleach," will remove the iron oxide adhering to your bottle. The nice part about oxalic acid is that it is not too dangerous and doesn't seem to produce the fumes that other common acids do.

The bottle with the graduations and the rust is a pharmacy bottle.

------------Harry Pristis

deepwoods

Reaction score
Bat- The two on the left appear to be teens to turn o the century to me.Cheers.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Bat, the Foss's are pretty common around here, right up there with Baker's Extracts. Foss operated out of Portland, ME, and I probably find one of their bottles almost everytime I dig, unless it's a very old dump. I was at a flea mkt. in Westbrook a couple of weeks ago, and he had a case of Foss bottles that had never been filled. But with that all being said, they're not bad looking, and they do date back to early1900s

batfish

Reaction score
Early 1900's? That's great! I actually found the Foss bottle in a different area than the others (which were estimated to be from the 40's or so). I found it right on the surface, at the top of a ravine, next to an ancient, decommissioned trolley track. It was among a litter of rusty cans. It's amazing that it's been sitting there for almost a century!

Is there a book that will help me identify and learn something about these low value bottles I have been finding? I saw what looked to be a good book on Amazon, but one of the customer reviews claimed that the book was really geared towards the 'high end'.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Bat, "Bottle Pricing Guide" by Hugh Cleveland seems to be geared more to the lower end bottles. Happy Diggin, Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotherMayhem