Maine Embossed Cure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Folks – One thing I did pick up at the Lowell show last weekend was a nice cure bottle from Bar Harbor, ME. I knew the outfit made this product but I’d never seen one of their bottles before. The company was the Morrison Medical Co. of Bar Harbor (1893-1896). The bottle is a sarsaparilla style 8 ¾ in. tall aqua rectangular bottle with four recessed panels. It’s embossed on three sides: MORRISON MEDICAL CO.// MORRISON’S/ SURE CURE TONIC// BAR HARBOR, ME. I paid more than I should have for it but I figured the chance to get one might not come around again for some time.
Later - Sam

A30C32942F884284B562503EF90A8AF4.jpg

Attachments

• A30C32942F884284B562503EF90A8AF4.jpg
    A30C32942F884284B562503EF90A8AF4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 76

Jim

Reaction score
That is a great bottle, Sam. I wouldn't mind finding one of those, since my last name happens to be Morrison. For as common as the name is, you don't see very many Morrison bottles. ~Jim

passthebottle

Reaction score
That's a short time frame; gotta be a rare one! In general is the Lowell show good for Maine bottles?

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi PTB -

There are at least a half dozen Maine dealers at the Lowell show so you can count on finding some Maine stuff there. I think I ended up with two ME meds and a couple of stoneware bottles. I picked up one of the stubby stoneware bottles of J. W. Thomas from Calais/St. Stephen, do you have one of those? That came from the stoneware bottle man himself, Dave Graci.

Jim - That's about it for ME bottles with the Morrison name, you would think that name would show up more often for sure.

Later - Sam

passthebottle

Reaction score
Hi Sam ; I have both the quart and the pint Thomas bottles with the pint being the harder one to find. I found an old clipping from a newspaper stating that J.W. Thomas was from St. Stephen and later moved to Calais where he started a lunch counter on Main St. and bottled and sold soda and ginger beer from his business.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Hey Sam. I dug one of those once years ago, and subsequently ended up selling it to Curt Morse up in Searsport. One of those "regrets" if you know what I mean. I also got an Anti-Apoplectine Cure with it, plus other good stuff. Anyway Great Find! that's only the second one I've seen in twenty years!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski