Maker of Repro Indian Vegetable Bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

thturk

Reaction score
Does someone know who made the "Made in Taiwan" repro. bottles? When they were made and if they had anything inside. Would anyone like to speculate how it got out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming? Lastly does anyone have a picture of the real mccoy?

COL. SAM JOHNSON
PROPRIETOR
RICHMOND, VA

A. LANCASTER'S
INDIAN VEGETABLE
JAUNDICE BITTERS

Thank you,
Trisha

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Trisha ,
I can't give you any info on your bottle other than it is a repro. And there's no telling how it ended up where it was found.
The real McCoy is Amber and square . It is listed in Ring & Ham's Bitters Bottles as extremely rare ( 1 - 5 specimens known to collectors ). I personaly don't know of any , nor have I personaly seen the real McCoy . Not many around !!!
Forum member whiskeyman may be able to help with info on your repro .
Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
TRISHA...no idea what company made the Made in Taiwan bottles...they 1st showed up in the early 1970's after Wheaton issued a similar line of repos. with great success..(some Wheatons are marked @70).
There were two types of Taiwan repos:...those with it plainly embossed upon the base and those with paper labels...Labels were quickly & easily removed by unscrupulous sellers hoping to pass them off as the real thing.

As they were mass produced, I would guess they were shipped to gift/antique shoppes allover the US, even in Wyoming.

Welcome to the Forum...

thturk

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your time and effort on my behalf. It was greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Trish

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I was under the impression that there was no actually bottle with that exact embossing?
Is it really listed in the bitters book?

whiskeyman

Reaction score
GUNTHER...my Ring book does list a bottle with identical wording, but as a label only...#L-11

The one BRIAN was talking about was noted on this forum thread...
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/auction_bottle%25%25%25who_made_it%3F/m_32798/tm.htm

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hey Charlie,
There is an embossed example listed in Ring & Hams I believe .... Listed as L 10.5 A. LANCHASTER / INDIAN VEGETABLE / JUANDICE BITTERS // COL. SAM JOHNSON / PROPRIETER // RICHMOND VA. // 1852 //
/ = End of line of lettering
// = End on one side of bottle
If this bottle were label only it would be listed as a L 10.5 L ( the second " L" would mean this is a label only bottle.
I presume you have the older Ring Book ? I don't have it and this variant may not be listed in Ring's Book.
Brian

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28