Marbles?!?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Why are marbles commonly found at dump sites? Do people actually throw them away or are they usually placed in paints or other types of liquid to help stir the contents? HMMMMMM.....I dunno anyone else know? Swiz

Pettydigger

Reaction score
Hi swizzle, kids did not have alot to do in the early days..... no computers,videogames, and such. From what I understand, shooting marbles out of slingshots/wristrockets at glass bottles in a dump was cheap entertainment[:D]. I expect a few marbles was also taken to dumps by parents getting tired of telling the children to pick them up off the floor! Josh

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
How marbles got in dumps. In the 50's every kid left for school with a pocket full of marbles. Always played marbles waiting for schoolbus,at recess,after school etc.etc. Always had plenty of marbles at home, if my parents stepped on one in the house (ouch) they went in the trash can. If they were sweeping the floor and found any marbles they were dumped in the trash as well. I immagine most parents were doing the same long before that. You even find a lot of hand made clay marbles that were cooked in the woodstove long before glass marbles became common. They too got thrown in the trash. Some of my observations.
Cliff

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4