Mason's Patent SCA Unlisted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MyIowagirl

Reaction score
I acquired a HG Mason's Patent shoulder seal in a nice SCA color. Very lavendar. I know it's RB 1756 but that doesn't list a HG Clear at all. 1756-1 is a HG Clear Mason's Patent but mine doesn't have the Mason's variant it is talking about. I wonder why 1756 doesn't list a half gallon. And I sure hope mine that is a nice true SCA is worth more than the $10-15 that the 1756-1 is listed for. I guess it's worth more to me because I was willing to pay quite a bit more for it.
Do you generally find that obvious SCA color is worth more than the clear, even though they are normally priced together? I can post a pic later when there is better light.

dygger60

Reaction score
Re: Mason's Patent Unlisted

I would not mind seeing a picture of that jar.... I however like the clear older jars...I think they are undervalued on the market...it was ALOT more expensive to make clear glass back in those days. I have several of the old Ball brothers improved series of jars in clear....very special to me...tough jars to find...I can not tell you how many I have handles over 20+ years to get clear jars..and keep them out of the direct light to prevent darkening..... I just did acquire a clear Masons Patent hg in clear.....just waiting for it to arrive....LOL David

MyIowagirl

Reaction score

Here is a pic of my SCA compared to a new clear canning jar.

Attachments

• ca1746e0f7a54151b3cdca2040067c97.jpg
    ca1746e0f7a54151b3cdca2040067c97.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 81

jarsnstuff

Reaction score

It wasn't all that long ago that Redbook didn't list pricing for the various sizes of jars. If the price in Redbook said the jar was worth $10-$12 and you had a pint or a half gallon, you just figured the going price for those were a little higher. So, it's not surprising that your jar is a 1756, yet the size and color aren't listed. Redbook is still a work in progress. You could consider your jar worth something in between the quart and pint prices, and be comfortable with that. Redbook or no Redbook, a jar is worth whatever a buyer and seller can agree to. -Tammy

2find4me

Reaction score

The light puce color would make a nice window display.I have an aqua one of those some where.

junkyard jack

Reaction score

That's a good looking jar. I have the 1756 HG in Aqua, Ball Blue, Yellow Green, Clear & SCA. I had actually found two clear 1/2 gallons at a farm auction many years ago & always kept one of them outside from April through October (NE Ohio) for the past 20 or so years. Over that time it has turned a nice medium SCA (not quite a dark as the one in your pic). I used to have a real nice SCA quart that I found in a small antique shop in the early 80's. I've always wondered why the Clear/SCA 1/2 gallons are un-listed as well. [:)]

jarsnstuff

Reaction score

Doug can't list a jar in Redbook if nobody tells him it exists. All you need to do is send a few good color photos (include a rubbing if the embossing doesn't show up well) with a short note to his address listed in the front of the Redbook. You can call him if you want as well. That way, it'll be listed in the next edition.

MNJars

Reaction score

I've emailed pictures and descriptions of unlisted jars to Doug a handful of times. I'll be curious to see the upcoming Redbook 11 to see how they've been added. I'm certain that Doug takes input from everyone into account. There are MANY instances in the Redbook where clear is listed as a color, but not SCA.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn