"Medicinal" whiskey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

gdog68

Reaction score
In the US there are dry counties that can't sell alcohol or have certain restrictions. I think this is a reminent of prohibition. So if you lived in a dry county you would have to drive to a wet county and buy there.

SADmaninKY

Reaction score
I'm wondering why the labelled example shows two different distilleries on the label. "The Frankfort Distillery Incorporated" and "The George T. Stagg Co., Inc.". I have been looking online but haven't found an answer yet. Maybe a partnership?
The George T. Stagg Distillery was located on the site of a current distillery which is quite well-known: Buffalo Trace Distillery located here in my hometown of Frankfort, Kentucky.

DanK

Reaction score
I looked it up found some information on the brand or at least an image of the bottle with the actual label. It's identical to mine minus the label and tin shot cap.
I read the US Govt stopped the distillation of alcohol from food products in 1917 due to WW1. Products previously distilled could be sold
4A7B1486-6CDB-42FD-808D-93CB9CA3C6AF.jpeg
but through govt dispesories and labeled as such. Here is a bottle I found.

Old man digger

Reaction score
Hi got a nice amber whiskey I believe is from the prohibition Era. Embossing reads "box this bottle only in the tin top safety carton" cool spider and web design with wheat grains. Pat pending owens Illinois glass company makers markView attachment 243761View attachment 243762View attachment 243763
Now I have to look for this variant, Thank you... I have 7 variations of this bottle and they do not include this one. Did you dig or purchase this bottle?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
In the US there are dry counties that can't sell alcohol or have certain restrictions. I think this is a reminent of prohibition. So if you lived in a dry county you would have to drive to a wet county and buy there.
We've got a a couple dry counties left here too, I think any municipality can make itself dry if the city council decides to, but it's pretty rare that it would be a popular decision. A lot of remote communities in the far north are dry though, support for a ban or restriction on the sale of alcohol in those places is often quite high due to past problems with alcoholism, and their small size and remoteness means that the ban actually has a decent chance of being effective. Certainly no driving to the next town over in a place like that.

hemihampton

Reaction score
My Mom & Sister live in a Dry County in Northeast Alabama. The County next to them where Huntsville is, is Wet. BUT, The Dry County voted to have a Wet Municipality. Meaning their city they live in can now sell alcohol, but I think rest of County still dry. Some may still be dry down south due to the heavy religious church's & people in the area. LEON.

gdog68

Reaction score
Now I have to look for this variant, Thank you... I have 7 variations of this bottle and they do not include this one. Did you dig or purchase this bottle?
Wish I dug this one, but I picked it up at an antique store for 10 dollars when I was looking for uranium glass to add to my collection. I have dug and found bottles that look like this in rivers and dumbs but are all broken.

gdog68

Reaction score
20230219_112738.jpg
20230219_112759.jpg
20230219_112756.jpg

These where found in the river. Clear one has no embossing or makers mark on bottom

Old man digger

Reaction score
Wish I dug this one, but I picked it up at an antique store for 10 dollars when I was looking for uranium glass to add to my collection. I have dug and found bottles that look like this in rivers and dumbs but are all broken.
You got a good deal for $10.00. Most of the ones I see are running $30 to $40 in the stores. I do not know if you have a rare variation, but I have never seen one with that wording on it.

SandiR

Reaction score
I looked it up found some information on the brand or at least an image of the bottle with the actual label. It's identical to mine minus the label and tin shot cap.
Awesome find.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn