medicine bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grouse hunter

Reaction score
i don't have a camera but recently found a bottle that i'm curious about. it is clear glass and embossed "dr. bell's pine-tar-honey for coughs and colds" on what i imagine is the front. on one side it's marked "dr. bell's" and on the other"pine-tar-honey" the bottle is 4"high by 1 3/4"wide by 1" thick. the neck is 1 5/8" long. on the bottom there is an elongated diamond with 10 at the right end. interesting to me because my last name is bell. the mold mark runs thru the lip. any info would be appreciated.

ronvae

Reaction score
Do a websearch on "Dr. Bell's Pine Tar Honey", & several things come up. Mostly paper ads for sale as collectibles. I couldn't find it in my bottlebooks, but there was one webpage that had a single sentence that indicated it was a favorite cure for the influenza strain that hit Winnebago County (of what state, I don't know), in 1920. Your bottle could be older or newer than that...

Tandy

Reaction score
This bottle is what is known as a "Proprietary Medicine", or Quack Cure. Reminds me of a Canadian one I had years ago - Dr. Bannerman's - had a pine tree embossed on it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4