MEDICINE BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kim

Reaction score
Hi Everybody
It's me again!! I have heaps of medicine bottles but I just picked out a few to show you and see if I can get some info.

From Left to Right

1."Kay Brothers ltd" "linseed Compound (Trademark)" "Stockport" The letter "B" on the base

2."Directions in the pamphlet""Barry's" "Tricopherous for the skin and hair" "New York" With what looks like the number"2" on the base

3."The Sheldon Drug Co Ltd Sydney" On the base"AGM TI07"

4."Bonningtons Irish Moss Christchurch" This is a beautiful bottle, the colour is amazing.

5."Marnes High grade Medicines" with a "V" on the base

6."Marnes Famous Family Medicines"

7."Dr Sheldons Magnetic Liniment" "Sydney NSW" Boston USA" with a partial label left on the blank side.

8."Ellimans Royal Embrocation For Horses Manufactory Slough" The number13568 on the base.

Thanks Heaps
Kim

Pm34880.jpg

Attachments

• Pm34880.jpg
    Pm34880.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 128

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Kim...

In my own experience selling patent medicines on eBay, the best bottle here is the green one, number 7. It's color, color, color in these patent meds! No. 7 has the double advantage of color and the two cities, a variant Americans don't find.

The others . . . well, maybe there is a local market for them.

-------------Harry Pristis

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Harry is right on, patent medicines, unless they're very special seem to have the greatest value locally. I have a few here that carry this towns former name before it was changed in 1860, they do well locally. I often have people looking for ones with their own names on them - like Dr. Kim's Remedy. lol - You're right that #4 is a pretty blue and I've never seen a green patent medicine up here in my marketplace.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Kim, how much would you charge to ship me that nice oak file cabinet I see in the background of your picture? lol

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Hi Kim on #7 Dr. Sheldon's Magnetic Linment Boston USA Sidney N.S.W.
Bottle manufactured ca. 1900 Possibly the product of Dr. Leonard I., Sheldon, a Boston physician in the 1870's (Wilson and Wilson 1971).
Green 5 3/4" X ? x ?
There is also a aqua bottle called
Dr. Sheldon's New Discovery Boston USA Sydney N.S.W.

David E Dearden

Reaction score
#1 Kay Brothers Ltd Linseed Compound (Trade Mark) Stockport.
Advertised 1897 , EF: 1912 (British Medical Association)
Aqua 5 1/2" x 1 11/16" oval
Kim, the abrevations I have would futher describe bottles but would take more time to look up, such as above EF which more than likely gives who publised

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All
David, I have all sorts of trouble looking up all these bottles. I have a few books with Aussie bottles in but I am finding it hard to get my head around all the info. I appreciate your input and every body elses. It is a lot to absorb. Do most collectors concentrate on a certain type or make of bottle or do they end up having a vast selection of bottles? I would love to group these bottles in some form, it would possibly make it easier. Somebody might be able to suggest a good American bottle book for me to purchase, one with pictures,lol, and a good English book as well.
Thanks heaps
Kim

pkokich

Reaction score
All I know is that christchurch is acity in the south island of new zealand and that style and colour of bottle are fairly common here

Kim

Reaction score
Goodmorning all!
I thought I might print out all the info everybody has given me and stick it to each bottle as I go along. This way I will be able to keep track of which bottles come from where etc.. I certainly appreciate everybodys help.
Thanks Kim

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi Kim,
The only one that may be of local interest is No 6."Marnes Famous Family Medicines" , Marnes was a Sydney drug company I don't know anything about the rarity of the bottles from that company though.
The rest of them have no value here, all common [;)] .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter