Memorial Day Weekend digging!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mx961

Reaction score
Hello KBbottles the wh cawley hutch with the dog on it is supposed to be of a collie dog as wh cawley thought his name was close enough to a collie so he put a picture of a collie dog on thetre also wh cawley was a colonel in a new jersey regiment in the civil war i have been digging and collecting new jersey hutches for a few years now but just thought you would like to know about that info on wh cawley

KBbottles

Reaction score
Dear mx961 Thank you and thank goodness for this forum as I have been trying to research them all morning. I just got the chills reading your post. The local history of these pieces is incredibly fascinating!!! You don't happen to know anything about C.L. Voorhees do you? I do run by the historic graveyard often where their family is buried.

Dansalata

Reaction score
wow, great finds there... nothing like the excitement of diggin up the past!!! congrats

swizzle

Reaction score
That pontil is awesome. Is that what they consider a graphite pontil? If you have a decent metal detector take it with you. Anytime you find a bit of junk that you don't want to dig again then notch it out. I used my accept/reject button on my x-terra 30 to find a Streeter House token in my last dump dig 2 days ago. Good luck, dig deep and have fun. Swiz

KBbottles

Reaction score
Thanks Swiz,

I only have a real old Radioshack detector lol. I did find a diamond tennis bracelet as a kid though with it. I desperately need a new one. Stupid question... Do they make ones that filter out rust/iron etc... and only pick up harder non-ferrous metals? I know of a couple that were recommended, but I haven't had the chance to invest in one. Thinking of selling some bottles for one, but can't depart with any yet. hmmmm

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: KBbottles

Stupid question... Do they make ones that filter out rust/iron etc... and only pick up harder non-ferrous metals? 

I detect, and in my opinion, my answer to this would be yes & no. Anything that is big will cause my detector to overload... and in my dumps, which tend to be newer, there's a lot of stuff, both iron & not iron that will overload the detector the same way (meaning you have to remove it - good or bad, to continue). Small items are easily distinguishable by type of metal. I tried detecting a dump once and just got frustrated and decided to dig and give up the detecting. That, however, was a farm dump with all sorts of metal in it. I have non-digging metal detecting friends that love finding dug dumps and detecting the 'dug' piles.... they have been very successful! Hope this helps.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Hi Mr. Fred. It's weird... I had a dream before the weekend and was literally thinking gee I wonder if I will find any hutches. Sure enough...

Thanks for the info on detecting pysh. This site has a ton of metal as well. We shall see. I'm planning on sifting my dug pile a little at some point to see if anything shows up.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229