Metal detector question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I bought thisTesoro Cibola three yr. ago. Now I knew I was gonna find a lot of crap,but seem all I find is crap. Lots of crap. My detecting buddy and Paula aint having a lot of digging all them holes. They also said they didn't wanna play no more till we figured out what to do. The dealer I bought it from showed me how to set it up. I found a ton of shell brass and harmonicas. Harmonicas? I guess thats all they had for entertainment. At a bottle show a while back this man had a pile of neat stuff he had found. We get to talikng,well we have the same kind and his is w/ him. He shows me how his is set. Well our hunting gets worse. Maybe I'm in poor spots. Where we'll be looking is homesteads and plantation spots from 1830s-1910s. We're hunting for trash piles and coinage. Tommy thinks were gonna find gold. One.50 piece sux in 3 years. At least I got enough iron to build a ship. Any help would be greatly apprecited by myself, Paula and Tommy

D21C9BFD1DAD4DEC80164C9A2BBF9E2E.jpg

Attachments

• D21C9BFD1DAD4DEC80164C9A2BBF9E2E.jpg
    D21C9BFD1DAD4DEC80164C9A2BBF9E2E.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 46

bigghouse

Reaction score
if ur finding metal then u no that something is not rong with your metal dectorter. i bet its just the spot or maybe the bottle show guy had one that can see farther down. i think its just luck, i feel special when i find a penny so dont worry[:D][sm=lol.gif]even though when it beeps i think i struck gold but no just a can from last weeks drinkers[sm=lol.gif]

good luck i bet u'll find stuff on the plantation and good luck building ur ship[sm=lol.gif]

anna

cc6pack

Reaction score
Pat

If you're finding ferrous metals, you need to change the setting to where you are digging mostly non ferrous stuff. Once you find an area you want to dig you can then cut the sensitivity down to where you don't mind digging some of the junk.

cdnbottleguy

Reaction score
hi there
i have a garrett ace 250 and at first i was convinced it wouldent find anything good except for pennys and iron or steel however after about 50+ hours of using it and digging every target i am now able to tell you if the object is large or small, silver or copper most of the time . in my opinion all you need is alot of time using your detector and before long you will be better with it etc. i find from going to old homesteads there is a ton of metal every where of all kinds. look at it this way if a person took and collected all the metal from there house and piled it in the driveway you would have a large pile of steel , a bunch of aluminum, a bunch of copper, and a bit of brass , and a small amount of silver and even smaller amount of gold . im sure this would be similar for anywhere and if you spread it all over the yard yad find the detector would beep just about anywhere . so just remember there is metal everywhere and finding the goodies will take time and is very possible
hope this helps you
Ian

tftfan

Reaction score
Headphones are a big help, go easy and over-lap swings. Iv'e done the same spots 10 times over, and I still pull coins. Trash piles are easy,, go fast as you want. If you are finding trash,,nails brass,, etc, there are prob coins there also.
Good Luck !
Micah

California Dream N

Reaction score
I think what alot of people don't think about when they metel detect is how precious coins were in those days. We drop a penny or dime today and we don't even pick it up alot of times. In the 1800's you just didn't lose a 50 cent piece and say "O Well". I have dug alot of old coins and tokens through the years but I 've sure weeded through alot of nails, pop tops and unidentified metal objects to do it.Coins were not as plentiful or as easy to come by as they are today. This is what makes detecting so much fun....Norene..

cobaltbot

Reaction score
It's also good to go after the ground has gotten a good "soaking" I know that its been very dry this year.

hemihampton

Reaction score
If your looking for Gold use the Fisher Gold Bug. If you find any Beer cans dont throw them away, Send them to me. I pay big Bucks for old rusty Beer Cans. LEON.

myersdiggers1998

Reaction score
we have the garetts2500 and i agree it takes time to getuse to them . Go to a playground and detect under monkey bars,theres always coins there,it will get you use to finding coins . then go to the older homesteads. good luck.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I'm getting the hours in. What I don't get is digging and there is nothing there. It just seems to evaporate. The iron is cool. To dry? It's like a desert here. It's not supposed to rain here anymore.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93