Milk bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diginit

Reaction score
Hiking around a local resavoir, found a 1936 blue vicks. a certo, a Lyons' root beer on the surface of a hill. Didn't spend much time here because I'm looking for older stuff.
Dug around a little, nothing pre 1900 here that I could find. But I couldn't leave this behind. The top reads "this bottle never sold" "used only under" "license from"
"Santa Clara County Milk Dealers Assn". Can't find anything on it.

Vs55521.jpg

diginit

Reaction score
Where the heck is Central Shuey?

Wu60328.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60328.jpg
    Wu60328.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 82

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey Dig...

Nice looking bottle..no..beautiful bottle! I was never into collecting milk bottles until my Mother gave me a quart size with a painted label in excellant condition and a pint (no embossing or label..but still a collectable), and suddenly I started to have people giving me some nice looking milks...from none to 5 in the course of a month or two! I now have two qts. and three pts. One pint is plain but the other two are embossed , one says IPT on the neck with vertical raised "lines" all the way around the neck, and "Sheffield" and "Store Bottle" with raised horizontal ridges all the way around the body, the other has the embossed words "Chestnut Farms" in fancy script opposite each other on the neck, and the contents, "One Pint Liquid" on the very bottom...like I said I wasn't into collecting milks....but these are pretty looking so I decided to display them along with some of my other bottles...I look at it as helping to preserve a part of our past that we will never see again...(when's the last time you put one of your plastic milk jugs up on a shelf to display it???[:'(])

Keep on displayin'...

The Doc...[X(]

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Where we dig our primary goal is to find milks that we sell to a local dealer, this pays for the day's work and keeps our wives off our backs for blowing a sunday playing in the dirt..LOL[:D] We keep all the good bottles for ourselves. Youll find that with milk bottles youll get top dollar closest to where they were produced. You will also see larger company bottles that bought milk from smaller dairies. The larger companies (commercial daries) like your Santa Clara would sometimes emboss the name of the smaller daries on their bottles (or just distibute the bottles to the small dairies to be filled) as well so that people loyal to that farm could feel all warm and cozy about giving thier money to the larger co-op. The best money bringers seem to be the smaller daries own bottles I think for sentimental reasons.
They come in acouple of different sizes pint or court and some of the better ones have a cream bulb at the top.. The pints were usually just cream.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter