Miner's pick

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
These are not actually unexpected when searching the sites of long abandoned miner's cabins, but finding a locally manufactured one is an exception. This small crevice pick was made in the 1850s by R. K. Wick, a pick-maker whose place of business was located on 6th St between I and J Sts, here in Sacramento, California.
Wick hand manufactured many different tools needed by miners during the heyday of the Gold Rush and beyond into the years of more sophisticated mining
operations. Makers and sellers of mining tools and hardware often made fortunes, while the poor miners worked hard to usually make very little. Many returned to
their homes broke and disappointed, discarding leaving behind the objects that they used in their search for riches.
CIMG2971.jpg

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

nice pick Mike, looks to be in great shape! everyone Ive dug has been very far gone...
Matt, up in the high country they stay in relatively good shape. Heck, I even dig a small set of gold scales in it's tin container that was complete and works.
We typically hunt above 5000', so are locked out until the snow is gone.

tigue710

Reaction score
I havent made it up high yet, just got a 4x4 truck so im planning some excursions this year. So many places to dig and so little time! Im finding the empire county has been hit hard, very hard... i want to do some desert digging next year...

ironmountain

Reaction score
that's a sweet pick. Love finding old tools. good find!
The axe heads and saw hunks I've found have all been junk.Haven't hit any miner cabins or anything up here yet, but we used to get on the snowshoes and go rabbit hunting and stay in caves that hunters had stocked. We'd find small woodstoves, utensils etc..

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583