Mini wine bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slugplate

Reaction score
I haven't seen one before and the lip is really throwing me off. I've seen bottles that looked like that and lips that looked like that, but never together.

Patagoniandigger

Reaction score
Here are the oldest I saved in boxes.

Attachments

• Patagoniandigger miniatures .jpg
    Patagoniandigger miniatures .jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208

Patagoniandigger

Reaction score
The one stand at middle has a tooled finish.
Standing at right are pieces of different but the same shaped bottles found in the same place.
Date 1890 decade or early 1900.Patagoniandigger miniatures from above .jpg

Brewster113

Reaction score
QUOTE="Catcat16, post: 724927, member: 28751"]
Blueing? I’m not familiar with that term.
[/QUOTE]
Hi cat bluing was used to make your laundry whites whiter. Your mother may have used it. My mother did, she would just wave the bar of bluing in the wash tub.
Bruce

Flasks

Reaction score
thanks for the reply! Yea I figured they woulnt go for much but no one on here seems to know what they are I can’t find them on the internet either... that wouldn't make it rare tho would it?
Keep in mind that rarity has NOTHING to do with value and can actually work in reverse. Be careful handling any of medicinal bottle as viruses and some germs can stay alive over decades.

Flasks

Reaction score
I think they might be bluing? Honestly I don't think they have much if any value.
Bluing bottles invariably leave a residue of "blue" adhered to the glass... Bluing was a common household product just before the turn of the 1900's up through about WW2. Men pants predominantly were a blue denim, much like today Levies and Jeans. The typical wash lady most always used lots of bleach in the wash to enhance the white clothes, kill germs and in a short time the Blue of "hubbies" pants disappeared so it was time to use the bluing in a separate wash tub to make his pants look more like new.

Catcat16

Reaction score
Keep in mind that rarity has NOTHING to do with value and can actually work in reverse. Be careful handling any of medicinal bottle as viruses and some germs can stay alive over decades.
Really? I had no idea. That blows my mind. Has anyone ever gotten sick that way? Thanks for the tip. I guess I’ll bleach them first from now on.

Catcat16

Reaction score
If you have a hundred of them, they definitely aren't rare. It doesn't take that many bottles existing for them to not be considered rare anymore. And rarity itself isn't enough to translate into value. I've got a bunch of local labeled pharmacy bottles from the 40s and 50s, and those could be one of a kind, but they still only sell for a few dollars each because not many people are looking for them. Most unembossed bottles (except when they're an unusual shape or colour like your green ink) aren't going to be of much interest to collectors unfortunately.
This is a sort of some different miniatures I found out there all about 1970s 1980s but found 1900 era too. The older ones are clean saved in boxes. View attachment 203689View attachment 203686
oh cool! Thanks for sharing I woulnt mind having a bunch of those! Mine are all boring clear.

Catcat16

Reaction score
Bluing bottles invariably leave a residue of "blue" adhered to the glass... Bluing was a common household product just before the turn of the 1900's up through about WW2. Men pants predominantly were a blue denim, much like today Levies and Jeans. The typical wash lady most always used lots of bleach in the wash to enhance the white clothes, kill germs and in a short time the Blue of "hubbies" pants disappeared so it was time to use the bluing in a separate wash tub to make his pants look more like new.
Very cool I’m really glad I joined this group because I’m learning so much about history. I never payed attention to history class as a kid and I’ve always said it was my least favorite class because it was “boring”... oh how that’s changed as I’ve aged. I really wish I payed attention more haha.
So I find tons of bottles that actually look as though they have a ink stain on them. Like not all over the bottle but just in either one spot or patches. And I see it in allllllll different types of bottles and couldn't figure out how they connected. As crazy as this sounds I even have bottles that have “magically” gotten spots that appear like that after I stick them in warm water and it’s impossible to get out of the bottle. So I guess bluing is what’s in those bottles. Very interesting.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler