mold for glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Bill, I liked this little mold and the history of it’s purpose and historical use. I have to assume the little nubs on the bottom were fitted into a hinged work plate or maybe they just slid on a steel plate work table.

I couldn’t get the picture of the bottom plate and the bottom of the amber jar with the embossed “Sâ€. This letter makes me think of the name Samuelson. I worked with a man with that name who family came from a glass house near Pittsburg, that made early glass of this egg style glass.

My wife has a large collection of opal glass vases. I have never been able to find a book that explained how they made these vases, except for a patent that referred to the making of the top lip ruffles of a lot of the vases. I noted your interest in opalescent glass – so I have to ask if you have found any books on this subject?

I would like to have a copy of the bottom plate picture, or pictures. RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cobaltbot

Nice, you'd think there would be more of these still existing?

My unsubstantiated theory is that many tons of them got collected and melted during the WW2 scrap drives. I have a great little book about collecting antiques, printed in the late '40s, and it describes the piles of amazing stuff that had been saved from piles of scrap paper collected, including extraordinarily rare stamps, rare/unique 18th century American publications, etc. Sadly what was saved is a drop in the pan compared to what was destroyed. Scrap metal piles were rich with things that would drive a modern collector absolutely insane.

Not mentioned in the book but elsewhere I read that Medieval suits of armor were melted for scrap, amongst other magnificent antiques. Damn shame. Thinking about it all makes me rather ill, lol. If WW2 never happened there would be alot more awesome antiques floating around the world. Londoners ripping up rare books from the 1500s to burn for heat, bombings destroying irreplacable ancient libraries full of illuminated manuscripts, ancient/medieval treasures melted and turned into tanks and bombs, etc. During the rebuilding afterwards, I read a heartbreaking account of a collector arriving barely too late after some workers got done throwing against a wall dozens of 1600s wine bottles with seals. They were in the basement of some bombed-out london building. makes ya cringe, it does.

grizz44

Reaction score
That is pretty cool!! Has anybody on here ever tried to blow glass?? That might be interesting to find out how hard or easy it would be.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well anyone can learn by going to classes at the Corning Museum of Glass Corning N.Y.

My oldest daughter went to a school in N.C. to learn and she has made a lot of things, from marbles to jewelry etc,
My youngest daughter has done tons of stained glass and etch glass shower doors and front entry doors plus items that she has
sold. RED Matthews

WSP

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, glad I'm able to share it. Someone was selling lots of glass molds around 10 years ago. Not sure, but I believe one of the glass houses had acquired lots of molds through the years and these were in storage. I believe it was Imperial, but I can't remember why I think that, because I remember the seller would not respond to questions.

Below is the patent for the 'salt-saver'

http://www.google.com/patents/USD22342?pg=PA1&dq=22342+1893&hl=en&sa=X&ei=evIaUbzWMoj09gS5l4GoDw&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=22342%201893&f=false

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey