Mountain Dew Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Venor_Thesaurus

Reaction score
I sell more than I buy on eBay. For bottles and jars, I prefer auctions and garage sales. Not against digging in the dirt when I have a good spot! Far less competition and much better prices. Tend to look on eBay when looking for hard to find or modern items. Also use it to try to determine value for certain items.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
When I search an item on Google and none show up but then go on to eBay do the same search which comes up with three. Wait it gets better, if I look at any of the 3 found on ebay and scroll down the page to similar items. There are even more. So much doesn't come up, that should. Wording could be word for word same as the title, still no match found. Drives me batty.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
The feeBay discriminates highly in their search engine and placement. Ads and sponsors are first and they have some kind of algorithm that then ties in to sellers who have greater sales volume. I used to think it tied into their seller rating, but anymore that is a fictitious value anyway as there nearly is no way to leave negative feedback on a seller. I believe their search engine doesn't favor a newer seller with less volume. Even if you search the listing descriptions it misses tons of stuff. It is the poorest search engine on the internet and that is insane.

Venor_Thesaurus

Reaction score
The feeBay discriminates highly in their search engine and placement. Ads and sponsors are first and they have some kind of algorithm that then ties in to sellers who have greater sales volume. I used to think it tied into their seller rating, but anymore that is a fictitious value anyway as there nearly is no way to leave negative feedback on a seller. I believe their search engine doesn't favor a newer seller with less volume. Even if you search the listing descriptions it misses tons of stuff. It is the poorest search engine on the internet and that is insane.
Now eBay let's you promote your item. That is a bit of a racquet though too. You choose what percentage of your sale you want to contribute to advertising..like lemonade stand game back in 90s on PC. Who's to say how much better I do if I do 0, 1 or 10%? Too many unknowns. Also what you said about negative seller ratings..makes you think twice before purchasing from someone who has a less than 100% rating.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
So I found this bottle on a new site a few weeks ago. It is listed on eBay for $700 down to $200. Is it really worth that much? There looks to be over 1000 bottles on the site so I'm excited to get out there.
I know there's at least two variants of that 10 oz green Dew bottle (I have both), one much more common than the other, but even the less common one should not be that "rare"...lol....I've seen the same style 10 oz Lawsons bottles kinda the same way as the Dew bottle, the clear one common and the green not so much, I did come across a green one at a flea market for cheap and bought it to keep my clear one company, even though it's much less common than the clear one, I don't expect to get rich from it when I end up selling off my bottles.

ccpe

Reaction score
I wanted to weigh in on this. I see a lot of scammers on eBay. Making the fake sales to boost values. I feel like they mess things up for the rest of us! Sometimes when you have a bottle or jar with no examples to compare to for value, then it is hard to figure out what it should be listed at. Granted, I think you can pay for a subscription to Worthpoint or maybe some other site or app to establish value. I love the Redbook for canning jars and have purchased the most recent copy. Have hundreds of other glass and antique related price guides and books. What I have struggled with is finding a comparable book for milk bottles or soda bottles. Milk bottles probably would need to be regional. Soda bottles books could focus era or type.

Rarety (is that a word) is somewhat easy to acertain. Demand and value can be harder to figure out. Solution can be to start out with what some consider an outrageous starting price (I look for the most expensive comparable bottle recently sold, excluding "fake sale" outliers.) This should not be decided in a vacuum. The seller should no what the top end real prices are for similar items.

Nothing worse than putting a bottle up and it sells superfast..ironic because you want to sell. Other thing that happens with a rare item is if you sell on auction, might go for a low price due to the fact is nobody is looking for it. Essentially to avoid ripping yourself off, you may have to think outside the box.

My solution is on a rare item is to start high, put caveat in listing that you are starting high and will consider all reasonable offers. Along with this I monitor my item and gradually lower the price until I start to see interest. It is usually pretty evident when you have started too high. I have always wondered if people think I am clueless or in the other category of scam artists. Hopefully 100% seller rating helps them to see I am neither.

I agree. Really something is worth what a person is willing to pay for it.

ccpe

Reaction score
The easy way to deal with eBay is don’t. I haven’t even looked at it in over two years.
I look at ebay to check the value of some bottles. I'm a hoarder though and don't want to sell anything yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky