Mt. Vernon Glass Company tumbler 1810-1820.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglass

Reaction score
Sorry to question your item Brian! I understand the point you were making.

Since I just wrote an article about Pitkins for the April issue of AB&CG, I have been curious about why no ribbed bottles have been unearthed or attributed to MVG. They were in business during the peak of the popularity, and they obviously were capable of producing them. It seems that MVG was competitive with NH and CT on most or all aspects, except in this particular area. Any thoughts?

Mike

wolffbp

Reaction score
No prob Mike, (I wasn't offended)
To my knowledge there have been no ribbed shards recovered or any whole specimens that have been attributed to MVG. I know Mark recovered an interesting scalloped piece {que Mark to post photo :)} But that's not quite the same thing. Perhaps this years digs will turn up something.

Ribbed glassware is funny stuff (especially swirled) some looks old, some looks new. Most of it can be gotten on the cheap 'cause sometimes it's hard tell whether it's old and American or new and South of the Border. I have a number of pieces that I can't say for sure either way. It's definately "in your hand" kind of stuff. Know what I mean? but even that can be inconclusive.

Best,
Brian

CazDigger

Reaction score
Hi Steve, looking through some old auction catalogs and McKearin, I think your tumbler is later than Mt Vernon. Although the color is not quite right, it is similar to items blown at Congressville post-Civil War era. The earlier tumblers tended to be much thinner glass and delicate in form. McKearin speculated the heavier Congressville pieces were due to the later blowers having less skill (they were focused on mass production of bottles instead of free blown manipulated tableware etc.) Yours looks much heavier and thick compared to earlier items I have seen in general and the few well made freeblown attributed MVG items I have seen. That still doesn't rule out anything, just my opinion.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hi Mark,The piece is thinner walled on the sides the bottom is thicker like you stated.I t is very crude and sits off balance.I will have to research it a little further.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen