Mt. Vernon Glass Company tumbler 1810-1820.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wolffbp

Reaction score
Steve, I can neither confirm nor deny the origin of either of these pieces as being Mt. Vernon Glass. IMHO it’s risky business making attributions on free-blown or semi free-blown pieces without any documentation as to where they were originally found or w/o comparison to an actual documented piece. Color is a considering factor; but both of these pieces only fall into the “similar to†category. The hat could have been made at practically any hollow-ware or window glass factory in the general vicinity of Mt. Vernon (and there were quite a few) In fact I recently came across info on a window glass factory established in 1826 in Verona (about 3 mi from MVG) that I didn’t even know existed. The tumbler is a nice green, crudely executed piece but based on the empontilling method employed I would have to tell you that doesn’t match-up well with any wares that I know are truly MVG. They are both very nice pieces but personally I would only give them a possible and not a probable attribution.
Best regards,
Brian

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The hat originally came from a family in Clark Mills New York.It was then purchased and owned by Joyce Blake reknowned author on glass whimseys.She attributed it to Mt Vernon.I purchased it from Dale Murshell co-author with Joyce on her books.The tumbler came from an estate sale in Gloversville where I was told by the auctineer that it was listed as coming from Mt vernon.The color is a dead match with the hat.

CazDigger

Reaction score
Hi Steve, I just got back from vacation and didn't see your post until just now. I pretty much concur with Brian. I know that Mt Vernon did produce hat whimseys. For comparison, if you look at pages 282&283 of McKearin & Wilson's American Bottles and Flasks, there is a hat whimsey made from a Fosgate's Anodyne Cordial medicine boottle that I am as sure (as can be) was made at Vernon. There were several glasshouses here in Central NY during the 1800s that may have made your items, but that doesn't rule out Vernon either.
Mark

earlyglass

Reaction score
Steve,

This is just my opinion...

I like the hat, but would have to agree with Brian that it could have been done at just about any glasshouse along the East coast, at least it can be said with confidence that it is a period (1820-40s) piece. Given the provenance, I would say that it has a strong probability of being a New York state piece. Peterboro, Redford, Redwood, Albany, Verona, Lancaster, Lockport, Mallorytown (just over the border) etc... many glasshouses in New York state. Such an object is tough to attribute to a specific glasshouse.

The tumbler... it just doesn't look like right to me. The base area almost looks molded? There is not a trace of any wear. The glass is very heavy looking, and the form is different from American tumblers of this era. I don't know where or when it was produced, but it just doesn't look right to me. Once again, just my opinion... take it with a grain of salt.

Mike

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
It is not molded it is almost a sand pontil.It does not sit correctly and you can slide a piece of paper under 3/4s of it with out toucking any of the bottom.There is wear but just on a very small area about an inch in diameter where the bottom rests. Its old Mike no doubt.The bottom is thick but the sides are thinner.

earlyglass

Reaction score
OK Steve... I know you have handled some glass and such objects are much easier to read in person. If you say it is early, then I trust your judgement. However, as for origin, that is really something that would be very difficult to prove. Matching the size and shape of the dip mold (if that is how it was produced) to a known piece is a possibility, but that can still be inconclusive. Mike

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I got one of them cups.. I bought it at a going back to jail sale.. [;)]

wolffbp

Reaction score
I thought I’d share the following; not to discredit Steve’s attributions, but to illustrate how attributions can sometimes be skewed or distorted:
It has been documented that Oliver Lewis and Jonathan Tinker were involved with the Mt. Vernon Glass Company. Oliver was a stockholder in the company upon its inception and was quite possibly one of the few original stockholders with actual experience in glass making. Jonathan Tinker was a glassblower and had married Oliver’s daughter Lucinda in 1811 in Vernon.

It has also been documented that Oliver and Jonathan left Vernon and went to Mantua, OH where they, together with David Ladd started the Mantua Glass Company in 1821.

We also know that 16-ribbed (vertical and swirled) glassware was made at Mantua.

Now, knowing all that… the tumbler below was purchased at an estate sale in 1986 a 1/2 block away from the Mt. Vernon Glass Co. property.
So Jonathan Tinker could have made this at Mt. Vernon right? [;)] Do I think it’s MVG? Umm, No.
Brian

3F0F5721BEE64E66A24F9605B0908052.jpg

Attachments

• 3F0F5721BEE64E66A24F9605B0908052.jpg
    3F0F5721BEE64E66A24F9605B0908052.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 90

earlyglass

Reaction score
Brian,

Have you handled this piece? My question is... Do you think it is American? Initial glance looks more "south of the border" to me... maybe I am becoming too skeptical!

As for MVG... I do not know of any ribbed bottles produced there, however, there is the patterned GI-88 example. Have you encountered any other possible ribbed pieces attributed to MVG?

Mike

wolffbp

Reaction score
LOL re-read my post Mike. I was not actually saying it is MVG nor any ribbed glassware for that matter. But merely illustrating how it could be construde as such. I own this tumbler and purchased it as told. I do believe this piece is American although I know where you're coming from with your Mexico thought. I have a few that I am quite sure are from Mexico and they are quite different than this one.

Please consider the last line of my previous post as sarcasm

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey