My First Dig!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CAkin24

Reaction score
Three or four weeks ago I met up with 'sodabottle' from here to go do some digging. We went to an old park where a huge tree had fallen over due to recent storms. One of his other digging partners informed him of the location right when I got in contact with him about meeting up to dig. Great timing! Luckily for us, most of the trunk had been ripped from the ground. I let him show me exactly what to do, which tools to use and where to start digging. It wasn't but about 25 seconds and he found an old ketchup bottle. Fast forward another five or six minutes and he found and old soda bottle, and tons of broken glass shards from not only bottles but lots of old dishes as well. Not long after that I pulled my first official bottle! I still to this point don't know what is it. About a minute after that I found my second, an old second generation Vaseline jar. I found another one or two in that area where I was working before switching to where he was and vice-versa. I found only two or three one the side he was originally working. But I ended up finding an old Coca-Cola bottle from Wilmington, Delaware. He on the other hand found probably six or eight more bottles at my previous position, but hey, he knows what he's doing. We dug the tree trunk for about two hours, two and a half hours maybe. Afterwards we decided to scout more areas, mainly around the roots of other trees in the park, finding a few tiny bottles. We concluded our day after about three hours of a very successful first dig for me. The items you may see may not be rares and most are very common bottles / jars, but I will cherish them forever as they were my first dig. I really only wanted to keep those bottles I found, but he insist I take all of them. He said something about his collection of just local bottles being enough. I was a little upset that he didn't find any local pieces he didn't have, considering he drove a bit further then I did. I enjoyed my day very much. I'll never forget that feeling I got when I spotted and pulled my first bottle. I got that same feeling for the other four or five I pulled. I had originally set my sights on collecting only old soda bottles until I realized how cool every single bottle / jar we dug were. I'm hoping 'sodabottle' is up for another dig sometime in the near future. He is a great guy, and I thank him for the kind gesture of allowing me to keep all of what he found, along with the bottle he gave me upon meeting. Thanks 'sodabottle'!

Sorry for my rambling. Now enjoy some pictures.

First is the very first bottle I found while digging.

GlassBottles010.jpg

This is the bottle that 'sodabottle' gave me when we first met.

GlassBottles052.jpg

The Coca-Cola bottle. Unfortunately it broke into 4 pieces after I got it home. I glued it back.

GlassBottles053.jpg

And lastly, everything we pulled. Notice the salt shaker!

GlassBottles004.jpg

CAkin24

Reaction score
I can only imagine! I'm itching to go dig for more. Was ready for more the second we decided to call it quits.

Funny. I happened to come across your site yesterday while doing a Google Search. Loved it, especially the story about you and your brother digging together.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I can only imagine! I'm itching to go dig for more. Was ready for more the second we decided to call it quits.

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the A-BN, and sounds like you got a great introduction to the joys of buried glass from sodabottle. Congratulations, and continued good luck to you!

2390.jpg
2390.jpg

CAkin24

Reaction score
Thank you, all. For almost two years since finding my hobby, I've searched the 'net left and right for a site with information, not just pictures. I had found others, but they usually only focused on the bigger brands like Pepsi and Coca-Cola. It's great to have this site with all sorts of knowledgeable members and that is open to all sorts of bottles.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH