My first privy dig!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

The embossing on the green ones: "FROM/ IROQUOIS SPRINGS/ A.S.W. CO PROP'S/ INCORPORATED/ NEW YORK". They are ALL BIM, which I find unusual. I can't find anything about the company, but they must not be rare, if I found so many! I only brought home ones without a chip or damage at all.

2523D1090AD04714B968192011AAD3F1.jpg

Nice embossing. That labeled one is great. Amazing how some labels survive at all.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] Congrats on the dig Connor, Ya got some good first stuff. You are now on your way to maybe findin some great bottles, ya never know what a hole will give up, kinda makes it exciting...Andy

jerrypev

Reaction score
Good historical background on Scherff, provides interesting historical context for what might otherwise be just another clear pharmacy bottle to most readers.

DK03

Reaction score
Nice finds, Connor. It's great to see that you were finally able to dig a privy.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I haven't found much at all about the Iroquois bottles. There is this in the 1910 American Bottler, but it doesn't help explain why I found so many of the bottles. I'm thinking maybe a deliveryman for the company stashed all the bottles in the privy for some reason? Salamanca is very far from here though, and I still have no idea where the dozens of beer bottles came from. Plus, as Jim pointed out, all the beers are pre-1905, which doesn't mesh with the post-1910 date of the Iroquois bottles. Now I'm really confused.

"Mr. J. H. Lyons, formerly of Bradford, Pa., has recently opened the Iroquois Bottling Works at Salamanca, N. Y., and is meeting with great success. Among the standard and up-to-date apparatus installed by Mr. Lyons is a Woodbury Beer Pasteurizer and Ouster Spring for bottle-washing machines."

Anyone know anything about the pitcher? I really like it, but I know nothing about that stuff. I think since this one looks so good, I'll try to save shards of things more often.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Sweet finds for your first privy!!! So much fun when you find a loaded pit! It must be very self-gratifying to look back at a lot of your local bottles and proudly say you have dug them. And being able to understand and tell the history of them truly brings them to life beyond being someones old trash. They are in good hands being a part of your collection. Cheers!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26