My Newbie Luck Finding Dumps So Far!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

critterhunter

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my post from a week or so ago with some photos of a large dump I found on the side of a hill in the woods. Mostly what I'm getting from the surface appears to be early 1900s stuff, with a few older bottles maybe. I have high hopes for even older bottles when I start to dig beyond the surface debri.

Anyway, I've been driving around an old local town over the last week or so and hiking back into the woods (public park areas) behind houses. Mainly, what I look for is an old house with public property and woods behind it. If the area has a small hill such as a ravine or a creek it's even better luck. I walk the first "drop off" area behind the house and am having amazing luck finding old bottle dumps. Even if there isn't a drop off like a creek, hill or ravine I'm still finding dumps on flat land. Creeks or ravines near older areas that aren't really close to homes are still good to check out. I'd say I've found a total of 8 new dumps in two trips of hiking this week. I haven't dug them yet, but rather did do a little probing with a metal rod. I can see how that works well. You can hear and feel the glass difference to wood or a rock.

One cool spot I found was an old dirt road in the woods which must have been abandoned when the local highway went through and cut it off years ago. Walking this road and searching it's edges (high spots) I found one potential old house site. It doesn't look like a foundation or anything but there are plenty of old red bricks (so old they crumble in your hand almost) laying around to indicate that there might have been a structure there at one time. Saw no pottery or glass shards but regardless it should be a great spot to try metal detecting.

I'm finding that the hiking and exploring new areas is almost as much fun as finding the bottles. Some spots look good for bottle digging, while others should hold some promise for at least metal detecting.

I've also found an old well behind a really old foundation that I used to metal detect. The well is rock lined and in good shape. It's full of clear water. I'm considering dropping an underwater camera down into it to see what's at the bottom. Anybody ever try this?

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Thomas, Sounds like you are geting alot of good exersice and enjoying doing it. The smarts you gain by hunting and finding all those dumps will always be handy. Dig out some of those dumps and let us know what you find.

Welcome to the forum.[:)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I never tried the cam in the well thing but I know of a person who did, they then made a hook type thing on the end of a rope, and hooked a cool marked whiskey jug out, you wont be able to get the bottles with the hook but IM sure some thing can be made up. Rick

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen