My Very First eBay Bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PoisonIvy

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the forum, and recently I began collecting poisons. This is my first eBay win!!
4055933123_385a4de2e0_m.jpg
4055933191_2955e3f9ee_m.jpg
4055933235_29830cf7de_m.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
One thing to remember about poison bottles is they were used for a wide variety of substances, none of which were actually INTENDED to be poison, but served a purpose around the house as a disinfectant, insecticide, cleaning agent, etc.. "not to be taken" was a good way of describing the contents, except they should have added "internally" since they were often used topically, on the skin, like tincture of iodine, which is my official guess as to what the contents of that bottle was.. nice pick-up! [:)]

potstone

Reaction score
I must thank you for that information. I have no experience
with poison bottles and I have always wondered why
there were so many types of poisons. Stupid me, never gave it a thought that this type of bottle contained other substances
like cleaning agents, disinfectants, Iodine etc. [&o]

glass man

Reaction score
LOOKS ENGLISH,BUT SOME ONE WOULD KNOW BETTER THEN ME! ANY WAY CONGRATES! COOL BOTTLE! JAMIE

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Yup, it is English, Glass Man.
Poison Ivy, If you want me to ID it for you , I will need some info. I cant tell you what came in it, but I can tell you it's designation. It's a KH (H for Hexagon) but I would need to know the height and embossing. ie. from what I see, its ribbed on 2 pannels, 1 on either side of "Not To Be Taken" but does it have any other?
Just to let you know, the book that is produced by the APBCA covers American bottles only. So even the coveted KU-6 isn't even in there ( That's the infamous SUB bottle) You will need the Kuhn's books to get bottles from Europe, Canada and Australia (new bottles are designated often so these will be distributed with newsletters as well). The prices in the Kuhn's books aren't anywhere near accurate unless its very common. The APBCA book has more current prices, and the newsletters have prices of poison bottles that were sold on ebay and glassworks auction sense the last newsletter to keep people up to date on what things are going for. It also has a place where other members have listings of the bottles they are selling to other members, so it's another source to build your collection. You will drool when you see some of the heavy hitter bottles that are out there.

I just looked in workbook #1, if there is no other embossing that what I stated, its a KH-29. They came in Cobalt, Amber, Clear and various shades of green. Sizes range from 1.5" and up (1/4 oz to 20 oz). They are also labeled as very very common. If you do start collecting English poisons, a little hint, most of the rare ones only have "Poison" on them. not the usual "Poisonous" & "Not to be taken". There are exceptions of course, but a majority of all english poisons have the same basic design of this embossing with ribs of some sort. Not too imaginative. It may have been a regulation or something for the makers. Nice english bottles to have would be KU-6, KU-17s and a few others. You have to go through the books to see what appeals to you. And when you do your ebay searches, include Worldwide so you can get the auctions from across the pond.

PoisonIvy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

One thing to remember about poison bottles is they were used for a wide variety of substances, none of which were actually INTENDED to be poison, but served a purpose around the house as a disinfectant, insecticide, cleaning agent, etc.. "not to be taken" was a good way of describing the contents, except they should have added "internally" since they were often used topically, on the skin, like tincture of iodine, which is my official guess as to what the contents of that bottle was.. nice pick-up! [:)]

Good info to know! Thanks! Still new to poisons, I didn't realize what a good bottle it is. I brought it home to my husband, and he said it's an excellent pick-up - mint condition. Great striking on the NTBT, too. It adds some great color to my little collection.

PoisonIvy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Antiquenut

I dont know on both counts.Looks like Iodine maybe.Some books are more detailed than others,and I havnt dug any poisons yet to research.I like the amber one in the other post too.

That little amber in my other post is a beauty, too. I can't wait to get some coffin-shaped bottles and more bottles with skulls on them. However, I do like the bottles with NTBT and POISON written on them, too.

PoisonIvy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

LOOKS ENGLISH,BUT SOME ONE WOULD KNOW BETTER THEN ME! ANY WAY CONGRATES! COOL BOTTLE! JAMIE

Thanks Jamie! I won another eBay bottle the same day, and I'll post pics when it arrives. The Auburn, CA show is about 4-5 weeks away, and we've carved out some good money in the budget for the show - it will be our Christmas. My collection will have grown pretty quickly by the time the show is over! [:)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS