my yard sale finds today

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

alcapone1130

Reaction score
here is what i found today any information on any of it would be great because im still kind of wet behind the ears on this stuff all i know is i love it but i would like to know the value and background on it as much is possible but any era description or value would be appreciated thanks you guys are great and i feel like family already thank you the first one is burnett's standard flavoring extracts -boston on the side

DC72DF9C69314E69BC332E69944F2BE5.jpg

Attachments

• DC72DF9C69314E69BC332E69944F2BE5.jpg
    DC72DF9C69314E69BC332E69944F2BE5.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 55

alcapone1130

Reaction score
next is laine chem.co new york heavy embossed

AADB292AFE384033B75EC153900DB9AF.jpg

Attachments

• AADB292AFE384033B75EC153900DB9AF.jpg
    AADB292AFE384033B75EC153900DB9AF.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 59

alcapone1130

Reaction score
and third is i hope you can tell me but is beautifull

805503D445CC4D3B8D84E3E9936ACD5C.jpg

Attachments

• 805503D445CC4D3B8D84E3E9936ACD5C.jpg
    805503D445CC4D3B8D84E3E9936ACD5C.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 66

madman

Reaction score
HEY JOHN, YES THOSE BOTTLES ARE COMMON , YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THERES ALOT OF HIGH END BOTTLE COLLECTORS ON HERE, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM, I COLLECT WHAT I DIG, BOTTLES SHOULD BE ENJOYED COLLECT WHAT YOU LIKE, ENJOY THE HOBBIE, I WOULD HAVE A SPOT FOR ALL THOSE BOTTLES ON MY SHELF, I DO LIKE THE AMBER BOTTLE WITH THE GLASS TOP--------- MIKE

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Nice bottles for a "Green Horn." People on the forum are all at different stages of their bottle collecting sickness or newness. We should do a thread (has one been done?) on how you morph over many years from a newbie collector/digger to think you know what you're collecting to whoa, I have way too much sh*t..why did I ever keep or buy that?...to I have to get rid of a few hundred bottles, what and why am I collecting any way?

I have given away boxes of bottles I thought were "the stuff" to collect years ago. Nobody told or guided me about all this crap. I guess it depends on how serious you are willing or going to be. My mentor, Joe the Crow, was just as bad of an addict as I became.

Good Luck!!!

PD

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
agree with Penn Digger.

When one starts collecting historic glass it's a mixed bag of whatever intrigues us. I've been collecting 40 years and have long realized that specialty collecting is key.

There's just too many areas of expertise in bottles to ever master. I use the term "mastery" loosely. Perhaps competence is better for this discussion. It is with this realization that we, as hoary bottle collectors, narrow our focus and become competent in mixed crowds with certain categories.

I too regularly give old bottles away to deserving folks. Between books and bottles storage becomes a problem. Need I mention the toil required in moving? I've relocated dozens of times in the last 20 years and I assure you something gets damaged in the transfer.

My advice is to collect whatever stirs your passion at the time. In time you'll likely divest of some of your holdings to likewise deserving souls. Remember, you don't own anything. You are simply the caretaker for awhile.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I'm with Mike. I dig what I collect and I collect what I dig [:D] to be a "High end bottle collector" you have to (buy) high end bottles.There is no way you are going to have a large collection of high ends if you just relay on digging alone to fill that shelf.Un less the bottle gods were really good to you.But I don't think they are that generous all the time.
I dig bottles for the excitement of digging up history and knowing that I was the first person to touch that bottle in over 100 years.I dig for the feeling,looking at all the bottles on my shelves are great, but that visual high wears off sooner or later and I need to dig again.It is the act of of digging privy's that I love.I know one day I won't be able to dig but I have a feeing I will be part of the bottle digging world in one way or another.If it is only to be there on a dig with friends than so be it.Friends a lot younger then me obviously[:D] So what I would do if I were you, is dig have fun and don't worry about anything else. You will grow into you digging niche as you dig deeper.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Too bad more people didn't think of themselves as stewards instead of owners.You cant take it with ya!
I have to agree with all of your comments. I tend to collect glass that tells me how it was made. I prefer to get the Mouth Blown Bottles, but I will bring home the ones that intrigue me, also. Like early water bottles with the ground glass stoppers, or early pattern glass that has applied handles and some unique glass forming tricks showing. I also have concentrated on early Case Gin Bottles and early Mineral Water Bottles, because the demand for them caused both bottle types, to have their manufacturing changed to meet the quantity demand for these bottles.
Through it all, I still feel that stewardship is a big responsibility; to know how to send the items off to a meaningful place, so others can appreciate what their part in the development of our country was.
RED Matthews

alcapone1130

Reaction score
thank you guys for the inspiring replies i think i had a couple tear drops go down my cheek all of those where beautifull. i love all glass and get what i can for now because i dont have a really really nice bottle in my collection yet and fully understand that when i do start to get the better glass to kind of weed out the lesser to make room for the good but at this time i feel that all of them are beautiful and belong on the shelf so all you guys said make so much sense thank you for all the replies and this is why i enjoy this site so much you guys are all like family so quickly and again special thanks to charlie for sharing an awesome bottle with me (gave) i am really appreciative

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy Collie