Mystery 1936 Owen-Illinois Glass Company

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Riverman61

Reaction score
I found this bottle while wade fishing the Holston River in East Tennessee today. I find a lot of broken glass while fishing, but rarely an intact bottle. After looking around on the internet I found a few sites that had manufacture's code information. If those codes are to be trusted, it was made by the Owen-Illinois Glass Company in their Huntington WV plant in 1936. I would be absolutely amazed if a bottle made so long ago could survive in this very rocky river. Is that code information correct? If so, does anyone know what this bottle was for? I'm guessing either pills or medicine. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• C0BFAE3E3FE44179A9E588664C996C71.jpg
    C0BFAE3E3FE44179A9E588664C996C71.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 60

Riverman61

Reaction score
Here is a full view of the bottle with a quarter for scale. Thanks again for any help.

04D3A3ABDE6440B5A9BB1DAE48F3B86A.jpg

Attachments

• 04D3A3ABDE6440B5A9BB1DAE48F3B86A.jpg
    04D3A3ABDE6440B5A9BB1DAE48F3B86A.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 62

splante

Reaction score
Welcome
hard to tell but it looks like you might have a period after the 6 if thats the case it could be 1946. If I remember the owens codes correctly, if not then most likely a 1936. Great color by the way. I search and find a lot of my bottles in the rivers. I have some from the late 1800's that have surived burried under the muck only to resurface after a storm. Ive found bottles in area's ive checked before and all of a sudden more bottles show up....Maybe another member will have more info on the bottle you found

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Tim, Welcome to the bottle world. Is the bottle you found, your first one, to keep ?

I assume it is a bottle made on an ABM because it has a transfer bead under the threaded finish. This was used to hold the bottle's parison form when it was transferred to the final blow mold. So there should be two seams on that part of the bottle. It also looks like the bottle surface was stippled almost all over. If so this was hand done in the mold iron with a punch.
There is probably one face or more left smooth for a glued on label.

I am glad it found a home. I want to invite you to check out my home page, shown below. It will tell you about my life of collecting glass and working in the glass making business for many years. I am glad you found this Forum, because it can tell you a lot about bottles and fellowship with others. RED Matthews

Riverman61

Reaction score
Thanks for welcoming me aboard! It's quite refreshing to join a forum and get immeadiate responces.

I spend most of my free time on, in or around the rivers and streams here. Though I'm primarily a fisherman, I always scan the bottom and banks of the waterways I'm fishing.You never know what's in the rivers. I have a large ceramic insulator from below an old railroad bridge and a zink mason jar lid with its milkglass intact. It's quite common to see shards of glass, and if I can safely reach them I take a look. I've found blue, green, black, brown and milk glass shards in all their varying shades. Somtimes I find embossed glass or the heart breaking neck of an old cork bottle poking through the sand. I haven't kept any of the shards, but I always wonder what they were part of. I guess I should keep the embossed shards just for ID purposes.

This is the first bottle I've kept. I know it's of no importance, and has no value but I think it's cool. Trying to figure out what it is has doubled my total knowledge of glass and glass manufacturing, and made me want to find more. For that alone it's found a home.

Riverman61

Reaction score
Good page RED, you have an interesting story and a wealth of information. I can see it will be a pretty good resource in the future.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie