mystery coin? plz help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ivybriana

Reaction score
[Not sure if this should go in this forum or the other collectables, but starting here...]
My bf and I are experienced diggers, so rarely come across things that leave us totally stumped, but here's one. Anyone have any ideas? This came from a bottle/trash dump site we have been digging off and on for 2 years, it's located in urban New Orleans. Most items here are from early 1900's.

Attachments

• mysterycoin2.jpg
    mysterycoin2.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 74
  • mysterycoin4.jpg
    mysterycoin4.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 82
  • mysterycoinback.jpg
    mysterycoinback.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 79
  • mysterycoin1.jpg
    mysterycoin1.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 81

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
At first I thought you'd found a medieval hammered coin from the Middle East, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that language was. Turns out there's a reason for that - it's just gibberish! It's a token which was produced as a souvenir or advertisement by the medium Anna Eva Fay in the early 20th century https://www.cointalk.com/threads/anna-eva-fay-token-translation.297123/

TexasRancher

Reaction score
At first I thought you'd found a medieval hammered coin from the Middle East, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what that language was. Turns out there's a reason for that - it's just gibberish! It's a token which was produced as a souvenir or advertisement by the medium Anna Eva Fay in the early 20th century https://www.cointalk.com/threads/anna-eva-fay-token-translation.297123/
Wow...great identitifation CB...I'm really good with coins...and I don't think i could have found what you did....incredible. It looked genuine to me...as a hammered coin.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow...great identitifation CB...I'm really good with coins...and I don't think i could have found what you did....incredible. It looked genuine to me...as a hammered coin.
Looked genuine to me too, I was almost ready to give up when I thought to try googling "ayx 7od". Never expected that it'd turn out to be from the 20th century. That patina looks so ancient as well, I wonder if the dump was burned or something.

ronkusa

Reaction score
Glad I didn’t dig this one…I would have thought Roman coin lost by Viking explorers.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
AT FIRST GLANCE I THOUGHT SOMEONE FROM THE FIRST DEF LEPPARD CONCERT LOST THEIR ALL ACCESS PASS. EVEN ALIENS WOULD HAVE USED A BLANK THAT WAS THINNER/MORE UNIFORM TO WORK WITH. WE ALL HAVE TO SMILE AT THIS ONE. :D ..CANADIAN BOTTLES GETS THE COOKIE.:cool:

Toma777

Reaction score
Looked genuine to me too, I was almost ready to give up when I thought to try googling "ayx 7od". Never expected that it'd turn out to be from the 20th century. That patina looks so ancient as well, I wonder if the dump was burned or something.
Bronze coins get that burnt look to them when they oxidize.

That's some amazing research CB!

Attachments

• Old Bronze Coins.jpg
    Old Bronze Coins.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen