Nails: Clues to a Buildings's History

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey All, I thought that this was very interesting and helpful on finding/dating the buildings we seek privies behind:

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Nails: Clues to a Building's History[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Thomas D. Visser[/font]

hwnail.GIF

Hand-wrought nail, before circa 1800

anail.GIF

Type A cut nail, circa 1790-1830

bnail.GIF

Type B cut nail, circa 1820-1900

wnail.GIF

Wire nail, circa 1890 to present

Nails provide one of the best clues to help determine the age of historic buildings, especially those constructed during the nineteenth century, when nail-making technology advanced rapidly. Until the last decade of the 1700s and the early 1800s, hand-wrought nails typically fastened the sheathing and roof boards on building frames. These nails were made one by one by a blacksmith or nailor from square iron rod. After heating the rod in a forge, the nailor would hammer all four sides of the softened end to form a point. The pointed nail rod was reheated and cut off. Then the nail maker would insert the hot nail into a hole in a nail header or anvil and form a head with several glancing blows of the hammer. The most common shape was the rosehead; however, broad "butterfly" heads and narrow L-heads also were crafted. L-head nails were popular for finish work, trim boards, and flooring. Between the 1790s and the early 1800s, various machines were invented for making nails from bars of iron. The earliest machines chopped nails off the iron bar like a guillotine, wiggling the bar from side to side with every stroke to produce a tapered shank. These are known as type A cut nails. At first, the heads were often made by hand, but soon machines were developed to pound a head on the end. This type of nail was made until the 1830s. By the 1820s, however, an effective design for a nail making machine was developed: it flipped the iron bar over after each stroke. With the cutter set at an angle, every nail was chopped to a taper. Nails made by this method are known as type B nails.
Cutting the nails leaves a small burr along the edge as the metal is torn apart. By carefully examining the edges for evidence of these burrs, it is possible to distinguish between the earlier type A nails and the later type B nails. Type A nails have burrs on the diagonally opposite edges, while the type B nails have both burrs on the same side. This kind of evidence can be used to establish the approximate period of construction or alteration of a building. Type B cut nails continued to be the most common through most of the greater part of the nineteenth century. With the rapid development of the Bessemer process for producing inexpensive soft steel during the 1880s, however, the popularity of using iron for nail making quickly waned. By 1886, 10 percent of the nails produced in the United States were made of soft steel wire. Within six years, more steel-wire nails were being produced than iron-cut nails. By 1913, 90 percent were wire nails. Cut nails are still made today, however, with the type B method. These are commonly used for fastening hardwood flooring.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
The early round nails had not commonly reached this area pre-1900, so if a building does not have square cut nails in it's framing we won't mess with digging the yard. Occasionally, though, buildings are second generation on city lots, with the early smaller house removed and a more up to date residence built to replace it. These yards are hit with gusto. I have a "double trouble" poked out at just that type of city lot. The circa 1950 home sitting on it was built long after the original structure burned.[;)]

rockbot

Reaction score
Nice info diggermeister. I got a pic of a few nails I got several weeks ago. I believe "type B"

Aloha, Rocky

4E61431F82824645930E88F12265E7A6.jpg

Attachments

• 4E61431F82824645930E88F12265E7A6.jpg
    4E61431F82824645930E88F12265E7A6.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 55

Just Dig it

Reaction score
I just paid 4$ for a box and 2 jars of nice nails .Probably around 200 of them.Gonna build something sick...will post em soon...

bostaurus

Reaction score
Here is a nice old one.. It is from a Roman villa site in Britain. It is about 3 inches long. They are scarce but at one time were very rare Just a few years before this dig they found a cache of several hundred in a Roman era blacksmith dig.

7B70392770D14E2EBDF6A8721601E0B1.jpg

It is shaped like the first nail in the first post.

Attachments

• 7B70392770D14E2EBDF6A8721601E0B1.jpg
    7B70392770D14E2EBDF6A8721601E0B1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 55

madman

Reaction score
hey gary cool info thats why i keep coming back! nice nails guys...........

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
The round nails are earlier, and I have dug many from 1875 sites, however, these were all at least 3" long, and its true the smaller diameter nails are more recent. I have dated many homesites in Virginia thanks to the nails discovered, and its hard to pinpoint the years from a book, but they do help give us an overall idea of the time frame within 30 yrs or so. Obviously, coins are my key to dating any site, and one must consider that some coins were used for several decades too. Cool post.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1