need help finding label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

artboy60

Reaction score
I have an upcoming project to restore a wall ad.
From Dayton, Ohio. Has anyone out there ever heard of Sachs-Prudens Brewery? Made porter ale and ginger ale. (The brewery is now the biggest musical instrument store in Dayton.)
Ad has a picture of a bottle, but the label is gone. Looking everywhere I can think of to find a photo/picture of the label for Sachs-Prudens Ginger Ale (oval label). Their beers were known as Diamond Label, but this ad has an oval label, so it must be an ad for their ginger ale. Can anyone help me??

1D1AA00EB6324BE1A69D9E565B5572EF.jpg

Attachments

• 1D1AA00EB6324BE1A69D9E565B5572EF.jpg
    1D1AA00EB6324BE1A69D9E565B5572EF.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 93

Poison_Us

Reaction score
I did quick look and found a nice online source of Dayton history

http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/index.html

Cant say your wall will be in the photos, but it's a start. I dont know the age of the brewery so I didnt' know which decade to search.

artboy60

Reaction score
Their web site was no help. I may go to them in person to see what I can find out.
Thanks for your reply.

artboy60

Reaction score
Begging your pardon, but are you sure that's for the ginger ale? The bottle she is holding has a diamond label, not oval, so, according to my research, that should be a bottle of porter ale or beer. But thanks for the response and picture.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey artboy,

Cool project. Here's another picture:
StACS3a.jpg
From.

I'm looking at snapshots of a faded sign, but the I'm not so sure the label might not be diamond shaped. The firm seems to have made a variety of tasty beverages, might not the label have changed in shape, style and color, as time went by.

"Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Company
79 Wyandot Street

The extensive enterprise of the Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Co., was established in 1881 by Messrs. Sachs, Pruden & Co., the present company having been incorporated in 1888. Originally the energies of the house were confined to the manufacture of Ginger Ale, and form a most modest beginning they have succeeded in building up a trade that takes first rank in this country. This result has been achieved by the production of the very highest grade of goods and a strict adherence to the belief that a pure and fine article would find its own market. That such has been the case is best evidenced in the rapid and remarkable expansion of the business. On the 1st of January, 1889, the company made a departure in their business by the introduction of their superior pale ale, known as the Diamond Brand Pale Ale, which is equal in all respects to the finest qualities of imported ale and superior to any produced in this country.
The plant of the company is of a most extensive character. The premises occupied in the manufacturer of the ginger ale, etc., consist of a building of three floors, 40 x 120 feet in dimensions. It is operated by water power. The equipment includes steam bottle washing machines, filters, etc., and every attention is directed to assure perfect cleanliness and the very highest grade of product. The capacity is about 18,000 quart bottles of ginger ale daily. The brewery recently erected by the company cost $150,000 and it is first class in all particulars, equipped with the very latest scientific improvements. It is a four-story brick building, 70 x 138 feet in dimensions, and is thoroughly fireproof, the joists and girders throughout being constructed of steel and the columns of iron. Two fifty horse power boilers are used to operate the appliances, and it is expected that natural gas will be utilized as fuel for making steam as soon as the gas company is ready to supply it. The cellars have a capacity for the storage of 15,000 barrels of ale, which could easily be extended to 30,000 is such should be required. Details as to the extent of this enterprise, however, are of trifling importance compared with the company’s superior methods of manufacture, the result of which is the very finest quality of pale ale that can be made, equal in all respects- color, body, flavor, purity and healthfulness- to the far-famed Bass and Alsop ales, and connoisseurs have declared their inability to distinguish one form the other. One thing that the public may be assured of, and that is that only pure malt, hops, and water enter into the manufacture of the already celebrated Diamond Brand Pale Ale here produced.
The Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Co. are also manufacturers of what is known as A-T-8 Agaric, a most agreeable and excellent medicine for the cure of indigestion, dyspepsia and all other diseases of a disordered liver and stomach. They also make a substitute for Hunyadi Water which is called Saline Lemonade. This is a valuable aperient, fully equal as regards results to the best of natural aperient waters. Another of the products is ginger extract, which along with other extracts used by bottlers they sell largely to the trade. While on this subject we may mention that the company are direct importers of all ginger used in the manufacture of their ginger ale.
The officers of the company are Edward Sachs, President; David Pruden, Vice-President and Manager, and Henry B. Pruden, Secretary and Treasurer, and with them are associated Herbert H. Weakly and Frank T. Huffman on the Board of Directors. The Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Company, being in the hands of experienced and able managers, and being in possession of unsurpassed facilities for doing business, with a past record of the very highest for reliability, the finest products and business integrity, there never was better promise of rapid and extended growth in the future." From.

I did some on-line lookin around, but have not yet turned up any label images. Were it me, I'd be talking to the local museum and historical society curators. I'd be trying to reach the descendants of the officers of Sachs-Pruden to see if they might have an actual specimen, or graphic representation. I'd take out a classified ad in the Dayton paper, etc.

yul%20brenner%20bigMjU1Ng==.jpg

artboy60

Reaction score
Mr. Surfaceone,
You bring up some excellent ideas. I definitely will try them.
Yes, several photos of the wall on the internet, but all recent. Seems no one back in 189? when the ad was painted had the forethought to photograph the ad upon completion. We also assume that over the years the ad may have been updated or touched up, maybe in the '30s or '50s.
Also, no info at all on the grocer, "M. Brandt", who occupied the building at the time. And the current residents, a family, of the building have no records or pix of it either, but want it restored to original.
Thanks for your input. I'll post any progress as it occurs.

artboy60

Reaction score
Mr. Poison_Us, just curious...
If you are way down in Georgia, how the heck did you aquire the card, or, for that matter, become aware of a local product from a hokey-dunk town like Dayton, Ohio??

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin